Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Weathering the Storm


Mark 4:35-41 That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, "Let us go over to the other side." Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, "Teacher, don't you care if we drown?" He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!" Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. He said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?"

Last evening and through most of the night, my little part of the world was ravaged by what was being called a Super Cell Storm. It was crazy wild at times. One minute the storm seemed to moving in from one direction then before your eyes the winds changed directions and came in another way. Apparently, that is what makes these super cells so dangerous and unpredictable.

Hacienda Hill, my little home, sits on top of a hill and there is nothing between us and Heaven but sky. I rather like that. It could make you feel more vulnerable during bad weather storms but nothing between me and Heaven sounds good to these ears.

As the storm blew in I took what precautions I could to batten down the hatch, that wasn’t much really. I prayed for all in Texas in the path of this thing, rebuked tornadoes, damaging winds, home damage, flooding waters and for peace of mind and security for all people in its path.

By virtue of modern weather equipment we have advanced knowledge of storms headed our way and can take precautions. However, in life, we are not as forewarned. The storms of life can sneak up on us and totally destroy our world before our eyes. A broken family is worse than a broken house. We all have our storms, no way around that. We do not get to pick the Super Cell Storms of life that come our way.

The difference comes in how we prepare for those storms. Well, prepare to deal with the aftermath and destruction, anyway. For me, I can live on Hacienda Hill with peace of mind because I know my real home is in Heaven and I’ve got a straight path from here! My path is the footsteps of Jesus. I was not panicked or scared last night. I was not alone with my pups; I was in the back of the boat lying next to Jesus. The weather storm raged all around but I knew my position in the boat, next to my Lord, was the only place I wanted to be. I snuggled next to the pups, turned off the lamp and went to sleep in peace.

No matter what storm we face, weather or otherwise, head to the back of the boat. I pray you know your place is always there.  

No comments: