Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, March 9, 2012

Timely Re-Run

This  is a post I first wrote in 2010. It is still true today.

The Good News

Amid the chaos and noise of world events, fear mongers or, as they like to be called "news media," fan the flames of manic thinking. Once upon a time, not so very long ago, I made appoint to watch the world and local news everyday. I wanted to be an informed responsible adult capable of voting on important issue concerning our country. I care about world events and people groups. Knowledge is power and I had the power to pray over issues in much need of prayer when and only when I had knowledge of them. This was my thinking. I wised up.
You see, for every slanted news story, there is pertinent information we are not being given. We are told our economic health in American is terminally ill. World politics is in such mucky water the powers/countries that be suffer from chronic dysentery. Do not even get me started on information we receive daily on which celebrity idiot is doing what now. Do I care what someone wore to a specific event? Does it play a part in my big picture? No, yet we are blasted with information about whose shoes are under whose bed and what their political point of view is at that moment.
Our financial outlook could change if athletes, mega-millionaires, and movie stars weren't given sinful amounts of money to do what they love to do in the first place. You can feed a lot of hungry kids on 15 million dollars, yet actors and the other $$ prostitutes are demanding and getting that kind of money all the time. Maybe all those hungry people of the world should demand more airtime. Does our country look more powerful when a stage full of politicians stand together for a photo shoot in a different land with the tax payers footing the bill for the trip? Just curious?
The news we are not hearing is that all the fear, all the tragedy the terrorist create, all the idiot drunken, blitzed entertainer stunts that manage to captivate prime time news, all the natural disasters…all of it, real and imagined, will not change one vital FACT. God is still in control. We're not hearing that in the news at all.     
Jesus said to proclaim the Good News. Yes, we need awareness of the world around us but it is not dominate our thinking, control our decisions, or determine how we go about living our lives. THAT, Friends, comes under the Good News. We are to live in and with the knowledge that God is still in control no matter which news station blares insanity into your living room every evening. I am saddened when I see people suffer and I pray for them but I rest in the knowledge that God is in control. My grocery bill gets higher every time I walk in the door for the same few items but God is in control. My country has lost its collective mind but God is in control. Pig flu or bird flu matters not, God is in control.
I refuse to bow down to the fear mongers on network or cable, in print or online because I KNOW God is in control. That's Good News, indeed!

No comments: