Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda


Philippians 3:13-14 Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Jesus Christ.

Have you ever noticed there is never a shortage of folks telling you what you could have done differently or what they would have done in your situation or the real biggie, what you should have done or said? Once you’ve said something, it is not helpful or insightful or even relevant to be told what you should have said…it is too late, that horse has left the barn. Yet, there will always be someone there to share their wisdom and clever comebacks you could have used if you had benefit of what they would have said and then you would have said what you should have said. Confused yet?

What, you may be asking, has taken me down this road this morning. In life we come to crossroads many times. It may be on a tiny path, like choosing to eat the healthy meal instead of having ice cream for dinner (like I wanted last night). Or it may be a crossroad that changes the direction of your whole life. The major crossroads certainly don’t come as often but their impact is profound.

Typically, we stand in the intersection of the crossroad looking in three directions to see if we can tell what lies ahead, which is our best option, where the speed bumps are and wonder how they might surprise us. Some folks get hung up on looking back at the road they have already traveled and long to stay there, afraid to move on, emotionally snagged in the thicket of ‘if only’.

I am at one of those major crossroads of life. I, personally, wish I had a Post Card from Heaven with directions for my life. Or one of those street sign markers that indicate what lies ahead. Or a map in the middle of the intersection…yeah, that is an awesome idea. All I know for sure is that God has a plan for my life and somewhere along the way He will tap me on the shoulder so I know when and where I am to turn. The scripture above says, forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead. Makes it clear I am not to waste time looking back at past decisions and directions. I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Jesus Christ. I am to stay focused on Jesus Christ and not my own plans. Or the plans of those well-meaning people with their coulds, woulds, and shoulds.

Look at what I found in Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary:
Definition of COULD - past of can
Definition of WOULD - past of will
Definition of SHOULD - past of shall

Um hmmmmmm….’nuff said.

No comments: