Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Sit, Stay


Proverbs 16:9 In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.

Over the last several days I’ve heard more than one preacher on TV say the hardest thing for a Christian is to wait on the Lord. Of course, I just knew they were speaking to me personally. Waiting is not something one would list, say, on a resume as a skill or use as a description of a dear friend, “Oh, she is the absolute best at waiting, that girl.” No, it isn’t what we look for or take notice of because waiting is something none of us like to do.

My pups, Nikos and Pan Dulce, are very ‘blessed’ (sounds better than spoiled) little creatures. Each morning after the 1st potty run and each evening after the last potty run they are given a treat. They know this, they rely on it and have taken to sly deception by faking potty runs to get the treat. Last evening was a fine example. Mina was over for a visit and was preparing to leave, so I sent the pups out with the command, “Go potty outside.” They jumped off the couch and ran for the backdoor as fast as their short legs could carry them. Almost immediately, they came walking back in, side by side. I was explaining our treat routine to Mina as they came into view rounding the couch. They had not had time to even make it all the way out to the potty area much less done anything yet here they pranced in, tails wagging, eyes lit with anticipation. OH, PLEASE! I sent them back out, much to their dismay, and held my finger over my lips as a signal to Mina not to talk. She finally asked me what I was listening for. I told her I was listening to hear if the dogs actually went out the doggy door. I am wise to their tricks!

This morning I went out before them to open the storm door. Pan went straight to grassy area and Nikos walked up the fence, feigned sniffing something then dashed around me to get in for his treat without so much as hiking a leg. I followed him in and ordered him out. He apparently thought we could play chase around the island but I don’t play games when they disobey. I ordered him to go out, and as short as he is, he lowered himself closer to the floor with tail tucked between his legs and walked pass me to the door. I shut the storm door to prevent them from coming back in. A little time away from their place next to me as I write will remind them who is in charge. All morning long they have come to the door whining, one then the other. Granted, Pan didn’t do it this morning, but he has often enough for a refresher course. This brings me to today’s reference scripture:

Proverbs 16:9 In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.

Like Nikos and Pan, we often take steps toward something: a new direction, a desired result, a goal…whatever it may be, by our own power, manipulations and planning. If we run into snags along the way, we may even resort to “sly deception by faking potty runs to get the treat.” We do not want to wait. Oh, we may sit by for a ‘season’ but we get antsy the longer that season drags on and our little brains engage in all sorts of mental games trying to find a way around the waiting. I am as guilty as one can be in this.

Just as I am wise to the tricks of my pups, the Lord knows us even better. I didn’t seek out the scripture this morning, God placed right in front of my eyes because I needed “a refresher course.” I can make plans with the best of them. I watch my plans go up in smoke, too, on a regular basis by virtue of them being MY plans and not waiting on HIS plans. When I finish writing this, I am going to let the pups in and give them their treats. We all need grace and a snack after school.

No comments: