Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Foul Taste of Pride


Proverbs 16:18 Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.

I choked on a big slice of humble pie yesterday morning! My dryer died a long time ago but I like to hang clothes on the line so it wasn’t much of a big deal...till we had all these rainy days and laundry piled up. I put the word out to friends to keep an ear open for a good, used, CHEAP dryer. My precious friend, Mina, showed up one day with one on her truck. The only issue, says her husband, is that I will need to take the power cord off my dead one & put on the New-To-Me dryer. I've watched over 30 years of This Old House so I thought, "No prob! I can do this!!" I also looked online & found step by step instructions with pictures, how could I go wrong? Right?

After repainting the dryer space in the utility room a couple of weeks ago , buying a new safer metal dryer vent hose and studying the online instructions I set out to do the job. If Necessity is the mother of Invention, I am her granddaughter! Sitting out on the back porch, enjoying the morning sun, I meticulously took the cord off making sure to remember which wire went where. Then I just as carefully put it back on the N-T-M dryer. This was a little more difficult because the configuration was different but a few scraped knuckles later I had it hooked up. I checked and double checked the connections because I didn’t want to create a fire hazard. All was well. 

I moved it into the utility room, thank the Lord dryers are basically light in weight! Now, it was time to move on to hooking up my new safer metal dryer vent hose. Having the right tool for any job makes a huge difference...I’d like to add to that...KNOWING the right tool for the job makes a bigger difference!! I didn’t, so I punted. I am the self-proclaimed Queen of Punting!

My Daddy had clear and concise ideas of what constituted Man’s work and Woman’s work. Men cleaned the fish, washed the boat, took out the trash, cared for the yard and built anything his woman wanted built. Woman’s work was to look pretty, keep a nice house, cook and…did I mention look pretty? That was a biggie to him. While he & the boys washed the boat & cleaned fish, we were getting pretty after a day on the bay…oh, and cooking. That’s just the way he was. So as I sat in the floor of the utility room punting…I thought about how appalled and sad my Daddy would have been to see me on the floor having to do this job yet proud that I could do it. I admit, I was proud, too! I be-bopped to the tune of ‘I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar’ as I gathered up my tools.

This is where I get served the giant slice of humble pie. In my moment of self-pride, I turned on the N-T-M dryer to test it before I slid it into place. Eureka! It had power…yay, me!!! Then the motor made the most disgruntled sound I had ever heard…like it had rocks in it!! I stopped it immediately, looked inside to see if there were rocks in the tumbler, alas, there were none. I turned it back on & it repeated this sound and it started smelling like something was burning. All my pride and joy in my roaring woman handy-self went flying around the room like a balloon set free. I hope Mina didn’t pay anything for the dryer. She was scammed if she did.

I hung my head, sighed loudly and asked for forgiveness for the sin of pride. Then I kicked the dryer!!

No comments: