Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Liker or Lover?


In the time I recently spent with my brother, Michael, we had conversations on many topics. Several included my pups, Nikos and Pan Dulce. As you know, they live in the house like family. This caused Michael to shake his head more than once and make ‘that face’.

Michael thinks dogs should live outside, be there when you want to interact and stay out of your way when you don’t. Nikos and Pan Dulce sleep in my bed. My first steps out of bed are to take care of my pups needs to go outside to potty and my last steps in the evening is shutting up the doggy door before going to bed. Michael shakes his head.

In one of our conversations he kept saying he just didn’t ‘get it’…his daughters do and he sees that but it just doesn’t make sense to him. I told him that was because he was a Dog Liker, not a Dog Lover. Dog Likers can love their dogs and Dog Lovers like theirs, but there is a special connection between man and beast if you are a Dog Lover. He said they aren’t family; he was. I said, “Yes, and tomorrow you will leave to go home, they will still be here. They play a large role in my life, you pop in and out.”

This morning, I looked over at them asleep on the couch as I work. They will lay there until I get up to get more coffee, they will watch my every move and follow me from room to room to see what I am up to. At first opportunity they will crawl up in my lap and love on me, I will love on them back. My decisions involve them; where I could live, arrangements for them when I make a trip, food and vet trips. Just like having children. When I leave the house, they will be on the back porch watching me drive away and they will right there waiting when I get back home, happy to see me. They aren’t just in my life; they are a part of my life. I need them as much as they need me.

It occurred to me that some people treat their relationship with God as if they were God Likers. They call out to God when they need Him but pretty much leave Him out of things when they don’t. They may toss out a few prayers here and there, as if it were dog food, to keep the relationship alive when they feel desperate and expect God to be their watch dog in times of trouble.

God Lovers start their day with God and end it the same way. My relationship with God is not something akin to a watch dog over me but an integral part of who I am, why I can get up and want to start my day serving that relationship. It’s not out of obligation but out of love. I need God in every area of my life, from room to room, season to season, and into eternity. It is His lap in which I climb to love on Him and to feel the comfort of His arms.

I couldn’t survive without the love of Jesus anymore than my pups could if left to their own devices. The biggest difference is I have been on my own, trying to live life my way and I know the hardships and pain there. My pups have never known anything but a loving home. I am able to give them so much love because I know what it is to live without it. I am a Dog Lover and I am God Lover…..I’d have it no other way! Liker or Lover, something to think about.

No comments: