Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, June 7, 2010

You Want Me to do What?

My husband and three other brave adult souls are taking the kids from church to summer camp later this week. Three of our grandchildren are going with them. The oldest of our three going is already here and we are enjoying hanging out with him. I asked if he was interested in earning some spending money for camp. His reply, "Doing what?" I explained his response did not answer my question. He said he might be interested depending on what the job was. I went on to say a desire to earn money for camp was either there or not. Yes, de decided, he wanted to earn money for camp….his voice dripped with wary hesitancy.


As his grandparent, I was a little less than thrilled by his reaction. I would like to believe he knew me well enough to know I would not ask anything of him he was not capable of doing. I would have liked to see an attitude of eagerness to perform chores for the opportunity and satisfaction of earning 'fun money'. We have provided the way for him to go to camp and we will provide him with the things he needs while there. Still, I would like to see my G-kids grow up with a mentality of working for what they have, appreciation for opportunities to be more self-sufficient, not always expecting life and others to fill their extended hand and every whim. Now, please let me say in all fairness, this boy has asked nothing of us as far as spending money and he is not walking around with an attitude of entitlement. Some do.


The poignant part of this story is that his reaction to my offer was very similar to how we often react to God. He provides all we need because He loves us; He isn't going to ask more of us than we can handle yet when given the opportunity we hang back wondering what it will required of us. Is it going to take much effort on my part? Will I have to endure mediocre working conditions? Will the job be pleasing to me? Will I have to sacrifice or step out of my comfort zone? Might I be embarrassed and self-conscience?


"Seriously, Lord, I want to do something to work for you but can you make something I would really like?" Hmm….wonder if God is a little less than thrilled by our response, too. Something to think about.

No comments: