Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, June 25, 2010

Sweet Aroma

This morning was herb-harvesting time. The beauty and aromatic blessing of tending to and harvesting herbs is thrilling to me. Sometimes I run my hand through the plants as I pass by them just to get the fragrant oils on my hands. As a cook, I find this heavenly. It is, also, extremely satisfying to my gardener's heart. Harvesting, however requires taking scissors to my beautiful plants…for a moment, I hesitate.


Without the judicious pruning that comes from the harvesting process the herbs would quickly bolt (flower and then seed) stopping production of leaves, the useful part with which we cook. It can be shocking to the system to see a whole pot of herbs pruned deeply. Rather like seeing a young boy with his haircut short for the summer.

John 15:2 "Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear more fruit." I do leave some to flower and seed. However, the leaves I use fresh now and to dry so I have a stash for the whole winter. The fact that I take delight in looking at them is the icing on the cake!


While carefully choosing where to make the cuts, I was in sensory overload with the aromas each new cut contributed to the moment. The bright green of the tiny Boxwood Basil mingled with the pungent and delightful Sweet Basil. Next came the spicy fragrant Thai Basil lending it's aroma to the mix. The Tarragon has its own sweet smell I find exciting. The last contributor today was the velvety gray-green Sage with its earthiness making a heady combination, indeed!


Song of Solomon 2:11-13 'For behold, the winter is past, The rain is over and gone. 'The flowers have already appeared in the land; The time has arrived for pruning the vines, And the voice of the turtledove has been heard in our land. The fig tree has ripened its figs, And the vines in blossom have given forth their fragrance. Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, And come along!'"


Perhaps the Song of Solomon seems a bit poetic when talking of gardening but the Bible of full of references to growing, harvesting, pruning, and sweet aromas. I think it is no coincidence that God created Man in a garden. Our garden roots run deep.


At this moment, my house smells divine with the aromatic presence of the goodness and sweet harvest of the herbs. I believe that God is enjoying it, too. I imagine my delight and thankfulness for them wafts sweetly to Him, as well. Every parent loves to see their child enjoying the gifts they gave. Thank you, Lord, for everything!


2 Corinthians 2:14
But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place.


May your weekend be filled with the sweet aroma of the presence of Christ!

No comments: