Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, June 4, 2010

Full Time Job

I am a writer, my job/work is writing. If you think writing is not hard work, you've never been a writer. Working from home may sound ideal to those that commute to other locations every day; let me assure you, for every 'pro' that come with it, there are two 'cons' just waiting to get in the way. Many people assume I do not work because I work from home. Working at home comes across to some, as "I'm available whenever you want me." Twenty years ago, I worked in a corporate office and had a sign over my desk that read…I used to get irritated by the interruptions in my job, until I realized the interruptions were my job….that no longer applies to my work but the interruptions are still there; they simply come in other forms but come, they do!


I have read tips and work habits of other writer to see if they are doing something I might try in order to make the home office more user friendly and, consequently, more productive. I am open to new ideas and concepts, plenty of successful writers came before me, so it is apparent they found something that works for them. I am still on my quest, looking for my ideal situation. I am not so talented that I remain undisturbed by the phone ringing or the dogs squabbling and/or barking. Working here, well, life happens around me whether I am writing or not. The only thing I really have any control over is my attitude about it all….and that, in and of itself, is a full time job.


I sit down at the computer a little after 5am every weekday while the coffee is brewing. Let the games begin! Some days it is easier to have a good attitude than others are. Some work does not require intense and total focus. All creative writing does, however, and, well…. I'm a creative writer. You see my dilemma. Therefore, acknowledging my inability to rein in 'attitude' with natural personality as my only tool…I call on Jesus.


I have a very hard time dealing with people that insist on gleaning the negative from any situation. Since God is in control of all things, I believe there is positive in everything if you look for it. It may not be on the surface, requiring some digging, but a determination to find something positive is a mentality I was able to develop only after giving control of my life to God. I believe God gave me the gift and desire to write, therefore, it is a good thing. Since He gave it to me, I want to use it in His service. Since serving God is an honor and form of worship and thankfulness, I believe it behooves me to perform this service in an attitude worthy of presenting to Him.


I cannot stop the flash if irritation that zips through my mind or the tightening of my belly when the phone rings or dogs bark while I am working but I can recognize that it is there and put up roadblocks to stop it from coming out of my mouth in a harsh tone. Once the ringing begins, disrupting my concentration and focus, the damage is done…it would only serve to make an unfortunate situation worse should I allow ugliness to come from me because of it. In all honesty I have to say it is far easier to stop it with the first couple of interruptions, more interruptions = more irritation. Vicious circle, that. It is in these times I remind myself I can do all things through Him that strengthens me! Call on Jesus.


Here is the key, as I see it. I want to please Him so I monitor myself for unpleasing traits, habits, and attitudes, working to modify my actions and behaviors accordingly. This isn't done with a sense of 'have to' but a sincere desire and 'want to'. I want to please Him because He loves me flaws and all. I love Him back. The sacrifice Jesus made for me was much more than I can give in return so if it takes effort and work and determination and more work on my part to try to please Him, then so be it! My pitiful little sacrifice of trying to control my attitude may seem large to the flesh though it is nothing but a trifle compared to the smallest of things He did for me. He IS worthy of my efforts, I am not of His.


Attitude, Folks, is something we can control. A sure way to know if your attitude needs work is to hold it up to scriptures and instruction on how we are to behave and think. I think you know already. What are you willing to do about it? See? Full time job.

No comments: