Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Reforest the Land

I thought I must have been too distracted to hear from the Lord this morning regarding a message today because I just kept getting ‘reforest the land.’ Reforest the land? Gee…I prayed for guidance and wisdom in sharing this because I didn’t have a clue. As you might guess, reforest is not a word used in the Bible…I researched it. In fact, I read every verse using anything close to reforest…the word 'plant' being used most often.


I wrote the words above months ago when I first 'heard' from the Lord that I was to write about reforesting the land. You have no idea how long I sat at this keyboard with hands poised and ready to get to work; my 'receiver' must have been wonky that day because I got nothin'! When I feel the Lord has given me the subject matter on which to write I just let Him have control of my fingers. To force something is a waste of time. Over this lapsed time, I have prayed over it, asking God to show me how he wanted me to proceed, where to take it. Still, nothing came…until God tickled my spirit yesterday morning prompting me to refresh my efforts to write on reforesting the land. I had not planned to write yesterday because my husband was off for the holiday but the urge to bring up this document loomed over my head until I did. I read the pitiful little paragraph at the top of the page and wondered why this had come to mind with such insistence. I just left the document up on the computer, so it was waiting for me when I sat down this morning. God is not an author of incomplete works.


Last night my Honey and I were watching a show on PBS regarding the great depression era and how FDR saved the day by establishing work programs for men all over the country. He saw the need to restore the land depleted from over farming and logging. It was the first effort at establishing conservation to restore the land resources; lives and families facing failure reaped a harvest of hope and opportunity along the way. No welfare handed out; just work programs that taught new trades and work ethics to desperate people in desperate times. Many projects accomplished but the bulk of the work: reforesting the land. A coincidence…I think not.


Interestingly enough, as popular with the common folks as it was, there was great opposition within the government. Our land was saved, parks created, people restored with dignity because they had jobs and yet the political authorities were concerned with the price tag. Sometimes the cost of not doing something far exceeds the price tag. Walk through a state park today and you well may be walking the paths created by the men under the conservation projects birthed from FDR's work programs. Farms, forests and families had new life breathed into them because one man dared to look ahead with vision and sense enough to know you can never satisfy the hand stretched out in need without first filling the spirit with hope. People wanted to take care of their own families. Work provided the way to do so.


Long ago, there as another with vision, that walked the land spreading hope; the authorities were not happy about Him so much either. He taught lessons on sowing and harvesting; pruning away the unproductive so good fruit had a chance. He taught the need for a man to work to support his family; to raise up his children in the way they should go. His work saved souls and spirits; bringing hope and healing to all the tired, desperate people that would listen and receive the message. He shared knowledge and wisdom; encouraging and sending others to share with every one else. His vision: reforest the land with redeemed people so the generations to follow would reap the rewards of the labor of those that heard, believed, and followed His plan. The price tag of following His plan is nothing next to the cost of not doing the work required.


There is a lesson in there, Folks, what are you doing to reforest the land? Are you sharing hope with others, telling about salvation? The work of our hands in reaching others is very much part of His plan; together we can be a part in reforesting the land with the redeemed and restored.

No comments: