Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, June 21, 2010

The John 10 Question

Early this morning I stepped out on the front deck to feed the two cats that adopted us. One is still very much a wild cat and we can not get close enough to even touch her; the other showed up one day and has not left since, she is more accustomed to humans and tries to get as close as possible when we step outside. Usually, both are waiting somewhat impatiently for breakfast when the front door opens. This morning, only Medina, the overly friendly panther look alike, waited.


I looked around for Hijack but did not see her at all. Therefore, I called out her name a few times. In the new dawn light, I saw a dark shadow bounding through the grass and up the hillside; it was Hijack coming to my call. She responded to my voice. She knows I am her source for morning nourishment and though she is not yet willing to get close enough to touch, she does come within two feet of me and circles around to eat while I stay on the deck. When I saw her come running this morning, my mind went to the Scripture in John 10 where Jesus talks about His sheep (us) knowing His voice and coming after him.

John 10:2-5 "But the one who goes in through the gate is the sheep's own shepherd. This is the one the gate-keeper admits, and the sheep hear his voice. He calls his own sheep, each one by his name, and leads them out. After taking out all that are his own, he goes on ahead of them; and the sheep follow him because they recognize his voice. They never follow a stranger but will run away from him, because stranger's voices are unfamiliar to them.

I have spent a great deal of time speaking softly to Hijack to earn her trust and confidence. She knows my voice because I have invested time in caring for her, she runs away when a stranger to her walks out on the deck. She will sit and listen to me; she even comes up to the glass storm door when I stand inside. We are only 6 inches apart but she feels safe on the other side of the glass. She also likes to sit outside the front windows and peer inside in the evening when she can see in. It is as though she wants to be a part of the family yet stay just far enough outside the inner circle that she is not imposed upon or feels threatened. Sadly, there are people within our Christian family that do the same thing.

I do not believe the newcomer cat, Medina, has ever met a stranger. She will wrap herself around the legs of anyone venturing out on the deck. If you have food, you are her new best friend and she probably would follow you to the ends of the earth…or at least until the food ran out. Then she would latch on to the next person with food to tempt her affections away. Sadly, there are far too many people like that, too!

As 'care-giver' for our cats, it is the growing trust of Hijack I value, over the casual and insincere affection and/or demands of Medina. Hijack heard my voice and came after me. It may seem silly but for that instant, I had the tiniest of glimmers of how Christ must feel when on of His own come running after his voice. My sense of protectiveness is stronger for Hijack than flighty Medina. I care enough to feed and protect where and how I can for both the feline vagabonds, offering the same to level of care to each, yet only one heeds my call.

Jesus provides and cares for us. Some come running at His voice, other come running when in need. Still others do not answer his call at all. I think it is important to look at the middle of the scripture above. Those that follow Jesus do so willingly. However, note how it says, "After taking out all that are his own, he goes ahead of them"…it then talks about him leading them. What it does not address is those left behind. It makes a clear distinction of those that following him, their shepherd. It says they never follow a stranger because the voice is unfamiliar to them. So whose voice IS familiar to the ones left behind? The answer to that question can dredge up some very scary prospects! Something to think about…..

As for me and my house, we're going with THE Shepherd!

No comments: