Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Introduction

I've recently met a man I knew for twenty years. A contradiction? No. Though I knew this man for twenty years, it has been nearly thirty-seven years since I have seen his face or heard his voice. Yet, I feel as if I am just now getting to know him; having met him, the real authentic man he was, for the first time through his writings. The man I speak of is D.C. Compton, my maternal grandfather.


To me and all the other cousins, he was simply our Grandpa or Papaw. He was a gentle man that loved nature, his family, gardening, fishing, walking, and a good game of checkers. He taught a very young me how to look for animal tracks in the woods and to appreciate a satisfying drink out of a tin cup from a cold mountain stream. He taught the boys to squirrel hunt and the wisdom of only shooting that which you are prepared to eat. He sang songs he made up about the everyday things in life like The Bobbin Ran Out or The Prettiest Boy in Arkansas. He had a love of gardening he passed on to some of us that still wish we could ask him questions about our own little attempts at growing fresh food for our families.


My first glimpse of the anointed D.C. Compton was watching him preach at tent revivals. I didn't know what was going on, I simply knew my Grandpa was preaching very emphatically in the sweltering Texas summer heat. I did not know seeds of faith and spiritual wisdom were being sown into my spirit. All I knew was that I was with my Grandpa and it was hot…Africa hot!


Now I know Grandpa was working for the Lord in a mighty way! All of us grandchildren knew not to bother Grandpa when he was 'working'. We knew when he was working because the old black typewriter on which he worked resounded throughout the house. As a child, I did not know exactly what he did when he worked but I knew not to bother him when he did it. If the typewriter was clacking, no knocking on his door. I did not know the man I called Grandpa was in reality a prolific and powerful Christian writer.



Today, I follow his footsteps though completely unaware until this unique journey began. What an adventure it has been! I have been awed and impressed with his ability to write some hard-hitting editorials, then turn around, and write sermons so poetic and lyrical. He had conviction that resonated throughout all his written work. His vast knowledge of scripture never ceases to amaze me and he backs up everything thing he wrote. I recognized myself in his bottom-line approach and that came as a huge surprise. Our foundational beliefs are the same and his love for and support of the mission field workers filled my heart with joy; the calling and desire of my heart has always been in mission work. This adventure of meeting my grandfather through adult eyes and a Christian heart has been amazing.


What I would give to be able to sit down with him now, as a spirit-filled Believer to talk!! I KNOW I will have that opportunity one day and I hope it is on a long walk in the woods of heaven. For now, I feel blessed more than I can say by getting to know him through his writing. What a legacy he left behind, a true treasure I am uncovering one page at a time. Thank you, Lord for the opportunity to meet your servant, my grandfather.


Till we meet again……..

No comments: