Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Looks can be Deceiving

Working from my home affords latitudes and attitudes I would not have were I working in an office somewhere else. However, I have a mindset that requires me to put on my socks and tie-on shoes. For me, walking around in slippers, flip-flops or barefooted is too casual for working. It almost gives me permission to slack off. Tied on shoes, on the other hand, mean it is time to get serious and get to work. This morning, as usual, I applied a moisturizing crème on my feet before pulling on my socks and shoes.


Last week I had an appointment with a podiatrist. I have some issues needing attention and, when dealing with diabetes, it is wise to have a good foot doctor. His assistant came in, looked over my feet, and asked a few pertinent questions. When the doctor came in the examination room, the first words out of his mouth were, "She's right, you're feet look good; too pretty to have anything wrong with them." I looked from his face to my feet and back to his face. Obviously, looks can be deceiving!


I have two tumors in the arch of that foot and every step is painful. Pretty feet – pfst! All the red toenail polish in the world makes little difference when walking is hurtful. He asked more questions and manipulated my foot in uncomfortable positions. We discussed treatment options, none of which we could do now because there were extraneous issues affecting my foot that needed addressing before we can treat the problem I went in for. Pretty feet can hide a host of problems.


I shared this story because we all tend to put a well-manicured facade on our life, covering up our problems. I have worn red toenail polish for so many years I doubt I would recognize my own feet without it. Would others recognize the real, inner us without the glam or polish we put on to mask our issues? The cream I put on my feet does make them look better but it also goes a long way in making me feel better. I feel like I am taking good care of my feet and the rich moisturizer sooths and cools. However, no matter what I do on the outside, the problem inside does not change and pain continues to wreak havoc in my world. Our spiritual issues are the same. We have to work to correct the issues rather than cover them up; the work is always harder than the masking.


I did not deal with my painful foot for a long time, choosing to wait it out and see how went. It 'went' from bad to worse…no wisdom there! The first tumor grew larger and a second one added to the problem. Now I have a mess on my hands that requires surgery to correct and remove the cause of pain.


It is never wise to ignore pain and problems of our spiritual lives either. Get in there and dig out the source of the problems; ask God to reveal the areas that need immediate attention. He is our Jehovah-Rophe; it means "The Lord who Heals" We need a spiritual healing far more than we need physical healing. The word Rophe means to heal, restore, or cure. God does not just heal; God IS healing.


Looks can be deceiving, Friends. Not every one or every life that looks good on the outside reflects the real issues going on inside. We all need Jehovah-Rophe. Do not let 'the pretty red toenails' distract you from seeking a complete healing, be it spiritual and/or physical or emotional. A healthy spirit carries you through hard times when the flesh vessel struggles. It also keeps you on your feet…so to speak…pun intended.

No comments: