Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Think About It

What ever happened to good old-fashioned thinking for oneself? I believe we are in a time when access to information is so easy and abundant that we have gotten mentally lazy. It has filtered down into our lives to the point of mental limbo where we simply wait for information rather than putting thoughts together to conclude on our own. There is the issue of too much busyness and chaos in our lives that we reject anything that requires us to think about even one more thing. I also believe that there is so much technology in our lives, the likes of which scare the bejeebers out of the majority of us, that we defer to those I call the 'techies' and hand our questions over to them while we sit at their feet waiting for our problems to be resolved. I am guilty of this.


I recently purchased a new computer program what will make my job a lot easier…assuming I ever learn how to use it. Somewhat jokingly, I told a couple of my friends that I needed a personal assistant to read the 'how to' and 'help' information on running the program, then show me what to do. We all had a good laugh but I was serious. I know that will not happen but what a delight it would be if it should! You would think one that enjoys research, as I do, would not have an issue with this but I keep telling myself I am too busy to read it. Secretly, I am fearful that it will challenge me and I have neither the time nor the energy for more challenges right now. ***sigh*** Meanwhile, I flounder in my ignorance and daily wish I could use the new program. I'm a little ticked off at myself over this.


Another example, our grandson # 4 recently spent a few days visiting. He slept on the couch while here and every morning would fold his bedding and put the room in order. Grandson # 3 had been with him the first few days, leading the way. Our sectional couch has many loose pillows across the back and they removed these to sleep; there is a color order that I prefer in pillow arrangement. Grandson # 3 instructed # 4 on how to place them where they belong. On his own, Grandson # 4 stood with pillow in hand and asked how they went. I reminded him he had previously performed this task and to think about it a minute. He stated he did not live here so he did not know. I asked him to think back on placing them the last time and to visualize doing it. He looked at me as if my head was on fire. This is a bright young man and I am certain he could work this out for himself if he were only willing to think about it. He was not. It was easier to wait for someone to tell him than to contemplate the issue at all. Sound familiar?


A man I consider a mentor works as a professional life couch. I read his blog faithfully and never fail to learn from him. In a recent post, he outlined the traits needed for a life coach and one struck a chord with me. "Powerful questions cause the client to explore and process deep feelings and emotions they would normally avoid. This is a must for change." I like that! Thinking, exploring, processing…all some of my favorite things! That is what I attempt to accomplish with Truth in the Morning. My writing style for Truth is simple conversation to share lessons God has shown me with examples from my life, in hope that people can relate to everyday issues they face in their own. I believe people will avoid thinking about issues that make them uncomfortable when addressed head on but may possibly ponder a concept when seen through the lens of someone else's life. I have to be transparent to a fault to share so much of my failings and shortcomings, which isn't always easy. However, God gave the task to me and if I can reach others for Him by opening up my life then that is what I will do. The beauty and wisdom of this…He makes me have to think about helping you think…I love that!


Just something to think about……..

No comments: