Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Music for the Soul

My brother, Paul, recently discovered contemporary Christian music. I must say, it brought back treasured memories from my own early days for which I am thankful. Watching him, a music lover, discover this venue of worship with awe and appreciation is a beautiful thing. He is young in his faith and his enthusiasm is delightful.


Music, long used in worshiping the Lord, is a universal language that speaks to the very soul. Words of praise, hope, and even desperation have cried out the highest highs and lowest lows of humanity. Psalms is a biblical reflection of the needs and fears of man along with adoration and worship for the one holy God. Scripture tells of the chorus of angels' constantly singing praise. Yes, indeed, we Believers will join our voices with the holy choir. What a sight and sound to behold!


It was a song about such my brother was excited about when he called; MercyMe's song 'I Can Only Imagine'. I've written out the core of the song; the words that express anticipation and wonder of how it might feel when we come face to face with Jesus:

"I can only imagine what it will be like, when I walk by Your side...
I can only imagine, what my eyes will see, when Your Face is before me!
I can only imagine. I can only imagine.

Surrounded by Your Glory, what will my heart feel?
Will I dance for you, Jesus? Or in awe of You, be still?
Will I stand in Your presence, or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing 'Hallelujah!'? Will I be able to speak at all?

I can only imagine! I can only imagine!

I can only imagine, when that day comes, when I find myself standing in the Son!
I can only imagine, when all I will do, is forever, forever worship You!
I can only imagine! I can only imagine!"


Music and prayer, the two most powerful and influential factors in people surrendering themselves and submitting to the Most High God. In my personal baby-Christian days, I know the written Word of God and Christian music were my constant companions. I had a spiritual thirst that nothing else would quench. I felt like a giant sponge desperate to soak in as much of my God as I could. It might sound strange but I felt as if I could actually feel the cells in my body changing and filling with awareness I had not experienced before. When scripture tells us we are new creatures in Christ when we totally submit to His Lordship, I had no problems accepting that as truth because I felt the transformation happening inside me. This is not an overnight transformation though the initial rush feels as though it is. All these years later I am still delighted when I realize a restructured area of my personality is flying on autopilot; no longer an issue I must make myself comply with His ways over my own but integrated with Him.


I vividly remember the moment I first totally surrendered everything to Him. I had been in church for many years and trying to live a decent life. I was involved in my church, participating in many areas. I loved being in the choir because I could sing aloud with others making beautiful music of praise. One night at choir practice after singing the a cappella version of the Hallelujah Chorus, our leader instructed us to find a private spot for ourselves in the sanctuary to be alone with God. The praise team band played a worship song, only instruments, and no voices. As I sat in the floor with the air filled with soulful music, I prayed; not the usual prayers for family and forgiveness but a petition asking God to fill me completely with His spirit, to make His desires my desires, to use my life in the way He wanted rather than what I thought was right. I asked Him to accept me as a willing vessel for any purpose under heaven He determined. I took my hands off my life, laid down control and knew for the first time what total surrender really meant. It was not about me anymore. I felt such an all-encompassing peace. I like to believe this is just a taste of what it will be like in heaven but until then, I can only imagine…..

No comments: