Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Listen With Your Spirit


Last week I was on a trip out of state and my destination did not have internet access, consequently, no blogs! I did not have foreknowledge of this, so I was unable to let you know what was going on. My computer and I enjoyed a technology-free week! I am home again, computer ready, and research done….. This is my first Daylight Savings-free workday and I am delighted, if somewhat distracted by all the glorious morning light! Never was a Daylight Savings Time fan.

A week without blogs and/or writing finds me full of all kinds of things to talk about. Still, I am weeding through the thoughts…my thoughts, and waiting for the Lord to show me what He wants me to share. My thoughts are my opinions; His thoughts are far greater than mine, so I defer to His. I received His holy tap on the shoulder while I was away, and made 'Notes to Self' to research the issues He brought to my spirit. This was my morning's work. I never cease to marvel at how exact and to the point His nudges faithfully show themselves to be.

I feel God is leading me to tell you to listen to the preachers and teachers you study under but to never lose sight that they, too, are human and subject to seasoning their words with personal interpretations. I'm not saying they are deliberately misleading those that study under them, just that anything you hear or read - hold up the pure bright light of Scripture for accuracy and truth. Pay attention to the leading of the Lord alone, especially when you hear something that doesn't settle in your spirit. For example, not too long ago I heard a teaching defining some of the words in the lesson in a way I had never seen them used. This sent up flags of concern in my spirit. I do not claim to be an expert in anything but I could not shake the misgivings. I determined to research and study the scriptures referenced in the original Greek, including the specific words that left me uneasy.

Nowhere in any of the different Bible versions, many scripture commentaries and Greek Biblical dictionary could I find those words used how the teacher defined them. They made specific points in the lesson as presented, but I could not find any Biblical references to backup what the teacher said in reference to the usage. This well respected teacher is a mature leader/teacher in the Christian world leading many people to the Lord. I am not trying to distract from the work they have done in the name of Jesus. I am simply using this situation to say we need to listen to the prompting of the Spirit in us, using discernment and testing that to which we listen against the true Word of God. It is imperative we study scripture. How else will we know when something does not line up with the proven Word of God?      

It is said, "If we stand for nothing, we will fall for anything." I say we need stand on the Rock of Jesus Christ and truth of sound Scripture to insulate us from the winds of adversity and erroneous teachings. Entire doctrines and denominations have started on personal interpretations. Discernment is a spiritual gift - use it wisely.

No comments: