Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

It's Not Just Me, the Bible Says So!

Psalm 95:1-2 Come, let us sing for joy to the LORD; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation. Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song.

Thanksgiving Eve is upon us. It's still very early morning but if I were to name the day, it would be Thanksgiving Eve. Pardon my giddiness; it is simply that I love Thanksgiving! I know I've said that before but you'll hear it again. For days, I've fought the temptation and burning desire to cook my portion of the meal with our family. Everything that can be done ahead has been done and my sights are set on the things that need wait until closer to time.

Colossians 2:6-7 So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.

Before you start to get annoyed with my enthusiasm, let me say this…my love affair with Thanksgiving Day is not about turkey or pumpkin pie or even the fall weather I love so much. The day itself symbolizes many things to different people. To me, it is the national holiday named for the state of heart God gave me.

Once upon a time, the state of my heart and mind and outlook waffled from day to day, molded by circumstances in my life. Many times circumstances of my life sucked! I will not bore you with a laundry list of situations because we all have our own. You know what's on your list; we all know a situation that sucks when we see it. Especially when we have to endure it.

Philippians 4:6  Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

Living with an attitude of thanksgiving does not come naturally to us. We tend to get bogged down in the muck and mire of the world and behave in ways that reveal we think we deserve better than that which has been dealt us. Some people feel they are Fly Paper to all things horrible and unfair. Their attitude, mentality, behavior and words all concur, "I am a victim of life, and life sucks."   

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God.

The fact is you can't sing praises to the Lord when you're focused on yet another verse of "Woe is me!" We all have heartache and burdens. How we choose to deal with them says a lot about the state of our hearts. I have always said Thanksgiving was my favorite holiday but it wasn't until God changed my heart and I made a point to be thankful regardless of circumstance that I learned what thanksgiving really is. I look for reasons to be thankful. I don't know about you but I can handle frustration and disappointment better when I have an ongoing list of things for which I am thankful to read as I pass through the difficult times. A thankful heart is the product of God's work in me and I am extremely thankful for it! For me, everyday is thanksgiving day! My cup runneth over!

Revelation 7:12saying, "Amen, blessing and glory and wisdom and thanksgiving and honor and power and might, be to our God forever and ever Amen."

No comments: