Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Timing is Everything

For the previous two days, I mulled over and researched scripture on which to write this morning. You'd think I'd learn after a while but no! It was a lesson I saw many Believers in need of reading for encouragement, including myself, but it was not the result of the holy tap on my shoulder. I've spent the last two hours at my computer trying to put it together. God won't let me. Silly woman! I start each morning by asking God to use my hands to write what He would have me do, yet I still tried to put out something of my own doing. It was godly stuff, backed up with Scripture, sound theology…just not ordained by God for me to write today.

I share this with you to say we need be aware of what it is God gives each of us to do rather than push through with what we want to do. My intent was good, share a timely word with others that God showed me. The issue at hand is that it was in my timing, not God's.

For clarification's sake let me say, I could have literally written the lesson, posted it to the blog and gone about my merry way. I have a lot of work to do this morning, many hours ahead of me sitting at this computer, so getting the blog out quickly and smoothly is a benefit to my time working. But at what cost? Would it be disobedience to do it anyway? If obedience delayed is still disobedience, what is it when we jump ahead of God's timing? Aside from unwise and unproductive, as evidenced by my morning. It was, however, productive in that I did a lot of Bible reading. Perhaps that is all God wanted me to do today.

People tend to run in circles when they get out of cadence with the Lord and His timing. God has shown me repeatedly over the years that my execution of the task He gave me to do is not always lining up with His intent. I wish I was a talented enough writer to describe and explain the feeling, knowledge or what ever it should be called that I get when I know and say God isn't going to let me write and/or send out something He has not ordained. It's a Spiritual thing, He doesn't literally bind my hands, but there is no doubt in my spirit that I am out of whack and I should stop it!

We really need to tune into what God is asking us to do. Then and only then can we focus on doing what He asks of us instead of what we want or pushing through our own agenda. No need to be all willy-nilly about it, God has a plan for each of us. Serving our Lord is a privilege and commitment birthed in love. We need pursue that to His highest glory, not our own. Therefore, after asking forgiveness for trying to do it my way, I was able to share this with you. Your message, Your timing, Lord, that's what I want to write.

No comments: