Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Martha or Mary?

This morning in my reading time, a beautiful prayer I read blessed me. I was reading about the story of Martha and Mary. We all tend to act and think like Martha from time to time. What we need is more of an attitude of worship over service. A little less Martha and a lot more Mary.

I am sharing the prayer I read with you. It touched my heart.

Dear Savior at whose feet I now sit,

   When you knock on the door to my heart, what is it you are looking for? What is it you want? Is it not to come in to dine with me? Is it not for fellowship?

   And yet, so often, where do you find me? At your feet? No. In the kitchen. How many times have I become distracted and left you there… sitting… waiting… longing?

   What is so important about my kitchenful of preparations that draws me away from you? How can they seem so trivial now and yet so urgent when I'm caught up in them?

   Forgive me for being so much distracted by my preparations and so little attracted by your presence. For being so diligent in my duties and so negligent in my devotion. For being so quick to my feet and so slow to yours.

   Help me to understand it is an intimate moment you seek from me, not an elaborate meal.

   Guard my heart this day from the many distractions that vie for my attention. And help me to fix my eyes on you. Not on my rank in the kingdom, as did the disciples. Not on the finer points of theology, as did the scribes. Not on the sins of others, as did the Pharisees. Not on the place of worship, as did the woman at the well. Not on the budget, as did Judas. But on you.

   Bring me out of the kitchen, Lord. Bid me come to your feet. And there may I thrill to sit and adore you…

Indeed, we all have our Martha moments and, as in this prayer, we should ask the Lord to help us focus on His presence, His desire is fellowship with us. We need remember it is the time at His feet that is more important than the busy service work on which we place our energies and efforts.

The prayer is from a devotional book called, appropriately enough, Intimate Moments with the Savior, by Ken Gire. My prayer is that we ask for forgiveness for thinking our busy work is so important we forget to focus on Him and the sweet time of fellowship in His presence. A little less Martha and a lot more Mary.

1 comment:

Wayne Pilgrim said...

Sometimes we get caught up in our day to day lives, and we tend to forget what we are living for.

Our lord want's us to be happy in our lives, but unless God is in our life, we will not know happiness.

As we do our day to day duties, if we have God in our heart and thoughts, we are with him, as he is always with us.