Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

People, It's Time to be Free!


I am so amazed each time I look at my calendar to see this year is almost at an end! Good heavens, the time flies so fast. I catch myself telling younger people how much more quickly it goes the older you get. Young people do not always believe it, especially teens. For me, it's rather like hearing the ticking clock inside the crocodile that haunted Captain Crook in the Peter Pan classic. I can be minding my own business and there it is - the ticking off of minutes…tick, tick, tick. Add to that the flipping of the pages of the calendar, which goes so fast it sounds, in my ears, like the shuffling of a deck of cards…bluurrrp, bluurrp, bluurrp. Put all together, you have a Symphony of Passing Time…tick, tick, bluurrp, tick, tick, bluurrp…

In a conversation with my friend, Mina, yesterday, she brought up how as she gets older she is enjoying the freedom that comes with life. I agreed. I have much more personal freedom at this stage of my life than ever before. Mina and I agreed it's a God thing. This comes from knowing who I am in Christ, my identity is based on that alone, not some warped perception or expectations the world has for me. Then I got an email from another friend, Mary, telling me of the personal traditions she practices at Christmas that put her closer to God and how meaningful it is to her. She commented, "I know that tradition seems silly to other people but I feel it and enjoy it – and that is what counts!" Good for you, Mary!

This is not the same thing as the mentality from the 60's and 70's, "It's your thing, do what you want to do!" I know the difference, I was there doing my own thing. No, it's not about social rebellion or personal expression. It's about confidence, confidence that comes only from knowing your position as a child of God. I know He looks at me and sees the daughter of the King; I am a princess! I no longer care if my clothes are in fashion, they aren't. My hairstyle is one that makes me comfortable, not one that is trendy. I don't lose sleep over who might like it or not. When your priorities are around Jesus and who you are in Him, nothing else really matters. I neither need nor seek approval from people of the world. That, Folks, brings a bunch of freedom!

When I look in the mirror and see all that sags, surrendered to gravity, I remind myself that God sees His little princess when He looks at me. He knew the clay vessel He gave me to walk around in would suffer the ravages of time and environmental decay. He sees the inner me, the spirit me, the one that will sit at his feet in praise. Freedom to be that me is freedom, indeed!

No comments: