Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Full Moon

Last night I basked in the glorious sight of the full moon. The Hacienda was quiet; Honey and hounds already tucked in for the night and the siren pull of the full moon drew me outside to marvel in its beauty. I found years ago that time alone on the front deck at night is a powerful experience that fosters a sense of private intimacy with my Lord. Early morning darkness, too, that dark time before the first pale rays shoot above the horizon in the east, shrouds the world and her cares and I feel as if I become one with the universe.

It's amazing how quickly my troubles gain perspective when held up to the vastness of the dark sky. An overwhelming issue in the harsh glare of sunlight shrinks against the night. It is also a time of thanks, for how can one sit under the blanket of stars and not give thanks to the God of the universe for all His creation and blessings? The sense of oneness with all He has created is powerful. My place in the vastness insured, yet even in the face of just how tiny I am, the knowledge that His immense love for me prevails!  

Many a prayer have I uttered aloud under the stars. I often envy those that came before us, when the world was not dotted with electric lights. How much more the night was a part of their lives than ours. I can appreciate the good we enjoy from lights but I can also appreciate the benefit of time without it. On my first mission trip in Africa, the stars astounded me each night. Without the distraction of electricity, the sky felt enormous and the stars…oh, the stars! Looking up at night, you felt as if you could reach up and touch them. I've not seen such intensity of stars before or since.

We showed The Jesus Film in their language at night via generator. The majority of the village people would come and sit on the ground to watch. We sat intermingled with them. I have a distinct memory of looking up at the sky in awe…could it be true; this little girl from small town Texas was sitting on the ground looking at the most majestic sky in the middle of Africa? I do not know the words to describe adequately what I felt that night. The experience was a big as the African star-filled sky. All I can say is that God gave me a visual and spiritual encounter I will never forget.

Take a few minutes tonight to stand in the quiet and look up at the moon and sky. It's a divine appointment you will be thankful you didn't miss!

No comments: