Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, November 12, 2010

Full Access


I had a realization this morning as I was reading scripture. It was more the holy tap on my shoulder but the thought occurred to me that I often question what we, the people, might be doing or not doing, as the case may be, that keeps us from experiencing the full power and victory offered us through following Christ. I asked God to help me understand why I wrote about that so often. He reminded me I write about the things He gives me to write…even clarified butter…remember that one? I then saw through my spiritual eyes the times I experienced total surrender to the Lord feeling engulfed by the tide of peace and the comfort of feeling and knowing His arms were securely wrapped around me. There is no place as awesome as the lap of God!

He prompts me to write of things that bring us to a more mindful place of what we may be doing to hinder our times of sitting in His lap. There are plenty of people, pastors, and ministries telling us of God's compassion and sweet mercies. That's a good thing. We all need to hear that. Mine is not to say 'oh, you sinner you!' but to ask if you, like me, might be putting barriers in your path that keep you in the 'cheap seats' of God's people…close enough to hear the music but not near enough to climb in His lap.

God's hand always extends toward us but we cannot reach it if we take a stand, like a two year old, determined to do it ourselves. We can't reach out to Him if we fold our arms resolutely over our chests. Likewise, if our hands are full, tightly clutched around things of the world – possessions, money, titles…even our children; we hinder grasping His hand offered us.God wants us to sit in His lap because we are His children. We loved to cuddle our kids up close feeling the total devotion and love we have for them. Our heavenly Father wants us to share that with Him…we can't if we are too busy in all our self-importance and stubbornness. 

God shows me all the time how He is in the details of everyday life and teaches me lessons to grow me spiritually. He has charged me with the task of sharing those lessons. He wants us up close and personal, not in the cheap seats…not behind barriers. He offers full access all the time…we erect the barriers. No wisdom there!

No comments: