Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Eyes and Ears Wide Open


God never ceases to make me smile. Yesterday, I ended the blog thanking God for giving me another chance to bear better fruit by pruning away my bad branches. Then, so totally God…I received this scripture in my 'Daily Bible Verse' e-mail…

John 15:5,8  I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

He tickles me! Just a gentle reminder and confirmation. Thank you, Lord!

I often talk about getting the 'holy tap on the shoulder' from the Lord and waiting for Him to give me the lesson He wants me to write. I don’t know if you believe that or not but it's true. God is not limited by our finite thinking, He is not bound that which we find plausible and/or possible. For this, I am thankful. I'd hate to think God could only perform in areas I could imagine or create.

My cousin, Beverly, says God wakes her up to 'talk' at 2am on a regular basis. I believe it. She said she's told Him 6am would be ok, too, but it's His timing and choices that count. Perhaps God knows the world would start getting in the way if they 'talked' at 6 rather than 2. He uses dreams, sermons, books, and other people…all kinds of ways to get messages to us. For me, the most frequent is the holy tap on the shoulder.

Years ago, God spoke to me in a dream. I was watching the dream as if it were a video though I was in the video dream, too. I distinctly remember it, not like a dream that fades away from your memory as the morning sun fades the darkness. As the spectator of the dream and the actor (for lack of better word) in the dream, I knew God was talking to me...well, both of us, actually - me the watcher and me the actor. I participated in the conversation. Even as the dream progressed, I 'heard' God tell me to wake up and go into the living room. I assured God I had gotten His point but He said again to wake up and go into the living room. I'm sure it really was audible because I 'heard' it loud and clear, it woke me. I got up and went into the living room. Making Him tell me a third time didn't seem like wisdom. I sat on the couch in the dark room and we had a talk. Well, I listened; He asked two short questions. Only two questions, but He waited each time for my answer. My spiritual ears were involved in this conversation but I do believe it was an audible command to wake up. I answered aloud.

When God talks to me, it is typically in short sentences. It might be a word or two…remember "clarified butter" or "consider the coffee"? Sometimes it's all spiritually imparted. Sometimes words leap off a page at me with such power I know it can be nothing else but Him. The point is I expect God to talk to me. I listen for God to talk to me. I look with accepting eyes for different ways He uses to speak to me. I desire God to talk to me. I never again in my lifetime on earth want there to be silence between God and me. I need God to talk to me. I need it like I need oxygen to breathe.

No comments: