Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, December 13, 2010

Micah 7

Micah 7:7-9  But as for me, I will watch expectantly for the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation. My God will hear me. Do not rejoice over me, O my enemy, though I fall I will rise; though I dwell in darkness, the Lord is a light for me. I will bear indignation of the Lord because I have sinned against Him, until He pleads my case and executes justice for me. He will bring me out into the light, and I will see His righteousness.

Micah, the southern prophet, was a contemporary of Isaiah in Judah and Hosea in Israel, prophesying in the last third of the eighth century B.C. He spoke up against national sin, foretold of the birth of the Messiah in Bethlehem, and credited with the most succinct description in the O.T. for God's requirement of man. Chapter 6 verse 8: He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

The words from 7:7 above touched me this morning. I, too, wait expectantly for the Lord. I will never cease to wait for the God of my salvation to move in my life because I know He does this all the time! My enemies, whatever they may be at any point in time, will not derive any satisfaction or rejoice in the times I fall, because my Lord will pick me up and set me on my feet before they have time to realize I've fallen. The comfort and peace of that knowledge is more valuable than any thing this earth or man can bring.

I remember a time when I did not walk in that peace, when a fall could be devastating. I do not want to forget because it serves to tender my heart for those not walking with the knowledge and peace of God. I remember the fear and uncertainty of each day, not knowing "how or why or where" I would receive the next blow, always waiting for the proverbial other shoe to drop…usually on my head! The world is full of angry, sad people waiting for that shoe, too. These people are God's people just as much as you or me. They may not know it yet but they are His. These people need others, like Micah of his day, and us in this day, to share the love of God with them. Indeed, I hope I never forget the loneliness of life without God so I will always be mindful of sharing with others the joy and expectation of watching the Lord work in my life.

Micah 7:7-9  But as for me, I will watch expectantly for the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation. My God will hear me. Do not rejoice over me, O my enemy, though I fall I will rise; though I dwell in darkness, the Lord is a light for me. I will bear indignation of the Lord because I have sinned against Him, until He pleads my case and executes justice for me. He will bring me out into the light, and I will see His righteousness.

No comments: