Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

What I Learned the Hard Way

There have been many times in my life when I didn't know how I could make it through the day without losing my mind. Sometimes I felt my mind went on a mini-vacation and left me behind in the wake of chaos and devastation. Breathing was something I had to remind myself to do! I'm not joking, I literally would find myself holding my breath without realizing it. Other times, I hyper-ventilated in anxiety. I could see no way out of the situation of that time.

The last thing I needed was well-meaning albeit untimely advice and platitudes from friends that had not walked in my shoes. Out of love and concern for me and mine, they hopped on the emotional roller coaster with me. "All for one and one for all" sort of thing. It felt good to know there were those that were ready to take up arms with me...the blind leading the blind.

I made many rash decisions that led to many rash actions that created more chaos and devastation. Perpetual heartache...

The words below would have been consoling and beneficial, had I known them. May your heart be open to hearing them with spiritual ears and may the peace that passes all understanding be your cloak against the hard times.


What has a grip on your heart? Think about the things that trouble you. Perhaps you’re dealing with financial need, relational stress, difficult circumstances, or lingering illness. What are we supposed to do with all the challenging situations we face? Jesus’ words can seem like a pat answer to our very real dilemma because saying, “Do not let your heart be troubled” doesn’t change our feelings.
However, a more accurate interpretation is, “Be troubled no longer.” Jesus isn’t saying that we are to deny our feelings and put on a happy face, but rather that we’re not to let anxiety conquer us. Yes, we will experience trials, but through the power of the Holy Spirit, we can endure struggles with the peace of Christ.
But how do we move from overwhelming distress to undisturbed tranquility? Begin by focusing immediately on the Lord, not on the circumstance, trusting Him to help you through it. Read the Scriptures so you can understand His perspective on the problem and search out His promises. Then believe God and do whatever He says, because you can never have His peace without obedience. And lastly, present your troubles to the Lord in prayer, not just with requests for their removal, but with thanks for His strength to endure them.
The next time you feel a rush of fear or anxiety, remember Jesus’ remedy: “Believe Me!” (vv. 1, 11). If you trust that He loves you and has a good purpose for allowing that difficulty in your life, you can thank Him no matter what you feel or what the outcome may be. Faith always ushers in His peace.

No comments: