Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Breakfast with God


My Honey and I are at the mid-point of a 21-day Daniel fast. I share that not to say, "look at us" but to lay the foundation of this posting. Our intent in the fast is to draw nearer to God and His plan for us. In a Daniel fast, you are not giving up all food, but fasting meat, sweets, breads, processed foods. This means a diet of vegetables, fruit, and whole grains.

My breakfast menu this morning was a meal of veggies cut into bite size pieces and sautéed in a little olive oil:
1 small potato
1 porcini mushroom
1 jalapeno pepper
5 stalks of asparagus
Small piece of onion

I took the time to prepare the meal and did not rush through. I used the time to visit with God, asking Him to show me the areas I needed to focus on as I continue to prepare for the upcoming mission trip. I felt peaceful and purposeful. God being God showed me all I asked and more.

Typically, I have to interrupt my writing to prepare and eat breakfast. I'm diabetic, not eating is not an option, and I need something in my tummy on which to bounce all the coffee. Since I am well into my work routine by the time I know I have no choice but to stop and eat, I find I sometimes resent the interruption and rush through. I usually eat at my desk as I work. This morning I made a point of using that time to visit with God and I could actually 'feel' the difference it made in my body, my mindset, and my spirit.

God led me to Isaiah 58 where the people cried out to God asking why He did not acknowledge their fasting. His reply through Isaiah was to say they were outward rituals to get want they wanted, not to honor Him. Check your motives! Often, we need to fast the way we live our lives, foregoing anything that is not spiritually healthy or God ordained. The 'junk food' of ungodly living can kill you.

If you do not really want to hear from God, don't ask questions. If you are not open to hearing spiritual truths about yourself, don't ask questions. If you tend to justify instead of rectify, don't ask questions. God is not bashful or hesitant to answer.

I felt God outlined the areas of me - my personality, my tendencies, and my perceptions that were not honoring Him, revealed one by one, as I thoughtfully chopped veggies. No condemnation, just factual outlining…I DID ask, after all. Scenes and situations of my life with these shortfalls - live and kicking - played before my spiritual eyes. You can't deny what God shows you in living color. Spiritually naked we come before Him, nowhere to hide any unpleasing behavior. All your fleshly ugliness flaps in the breeze. Still, no condemnation.

I saw enough. I was humbled by the love I felt from Him even as I came face-to-face with my 'issues'. What I do at this point is up to me. I can take what He showed me and learn from it or not. I thanked Him for showing me my ugly side, for loving me in spite of myself, for the unconditional love, for forgiveness and the chance to cultivate better fruit by pruning away the bad branches. Breakfast with God is completely satisfying!

No comments: