Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, May 18, 2009

Waiting on the Lord

Points to Ponder

I've always been baffled by, what seemed to me, extreme measures God took when fighting the enemies of Israel. To wipe out entire people groups always made me shudder. Being the literal thinker I am, in my mind I actually see the carnage, blood, feel the terror and hear the screams. Hence the shudders. On the flip side, I can feel the relief and overwhelming gratitude Israel must have experienced standing on the hill looking at the multitude of bodies of their enemies. Who among us has not wished from time to time that any and all that come against us would be defeated before our very eyes without our having to lift a finger? Still, the imagery of such battles bothers my soul.

I feel less stress battling in the spiritual realm because I know my Lord is already the victor! I do know such battles are equally dangerous and debilitating. I have, in the mission field as well as in life, been in places and situations where you could actually feel the oppression of demonic forces. It's equally unsettling and can mess with your head. This is why inexperienced missionaries struggle in the field just as those young in their faith walk. As the spiritual forces become more prominent, people take their eyes off of Jesus. This opens the door for satan to play in their heads. If satan worked to tempt Jesus, be assured he will work to tempt and distract you and me. We are a cake walk, comparatively speaking.

Our strength and comfort comes, as with the people of Israel, from keeping our eyes and minds on the Lord. Circumstances can look very bleak and nothing make sense to you whatsoever. More than ever, in those times should we lift our eyes off of the circumstances and wait for the Lord. This is the time for prayer and praising God, not stepping out in our own pitiful efforts; but waiting, believing and trusting in the Lord to take care of our enemies. Unlike Indiana Jones, we can't pull on an old raggedy leather hat and jacket and think we're ready to take on the world.

Symbolically, he was quite the humble, mild mannered professor in his real world. That's where we should be, humbly walking out our lives, trusting in God, praising His majesty and glory, waiting in faith that our enemies will be laid out in the fields before us by His hand. Persecution always comes. God always is. As for me and my house, we shall wait upon the Lord.

No comments: