Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Color My World

I am old enough to remember when color televisions became available for every day people. It was a big deal! Early on, not many people had them so an opportunity to watch one was exciting. My grandpa was a mountain of a man and had stubborn streak just as large. He took a stand against color TV and refused to get one. My Auntie was an innovative woman and lived next door to said mountain man. I remember her telling him how great it was and how he would like it if he would just give it a chance. I don’t know if she remembers this or not but I remember her opening the curtains and telling him life was in color. This made a significant impression on me.

My world is saturated in color. Not being a ‘pastel’ kind of girl, we are talking about COLOR. There are no white walls in my home. A decorator in perpetual motion, things change in my home on an ongoing basis. I receive an online newsletter from Better Homes and Gardens. The latest newsletter had a quiz about finding your color personality. This thought made me laugh. I took the quiz to see how they would define my propensity for color. I was not surprised to find I did not fit into any one classification. In fact, though my home is small, I have drawn from every category they listed; crossing boundaries every where you look.

Without listing the colors in each grouping, their breakdown was:
Natural & Serene, Passionate & Regal, Warm & Vibrant, Classic & Sophisticated
My bedroom is largely Natural & Serene accented with Passionate & Regal AND Warm & Vibrant. My kitchen is 50/50 Warm & Vibrant with Natural & Serene. The office, in mid-transition, is Classic & Sophisticated peppered with Natural & Serene, accented by Passionate & Regal.

The point I’m trying to make is that we cannot be stuffed into a box, defined as a color personality or any other sort. God made us unique individuals. Color does have an emotional pull on people and we gravitate toward those that make us feel good. Sure, you may prefer one set of color grouping over another but that does not define you. We are not locked into one set by definition which, by the way, will change with the coming season. Fads come and go quickly but your fingerprint will remain the same. Be who and what God created you to be without apology to any commercialized industry that tries to dazzle and lure you into a false sense of belonging by running to keep up with trends and fads. If you happen to love pink checks with purple polka dots and your heart skips a beat over them, run with it! I believe God gave us eyes that can see in color so we can appreciate the glory of His colorful creations. Be true to you, not some fad guru.

Life is in living color…..color your world.

No comments: