Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Getting What You Ask For

This morning, I had to stop and ask God to forgive me before my first cup of coffee. For many years now, the first thought in my head has been, ‘Thank You, Lord, for this new day. Thank You that we are alive and Your mercies are new.’ This morning, however, I jumped straight into thinking about what I wanted to write about today. In my efforts to develop those new writing habits I discussed, I made a huge mistake in trading the good habit of first thanking God for one of jumping into ‘busy’. How often do we mistakenly think the issues weighing on our feeble minds are so very important that we absentmindedly push God to the back burner? Thankfully, the Holy Spirit weighed in with a quick reminder and I was able to repent; getting my priorities in the proper order.

When asking God to reveal things in your life that are unpleasing to Him, asking for HIS help in removing them from your life; you get what you ask. It seems to me the longer you have been doing this; the more quickly the offending behavior is pointed out. While I am grateful for that, I don't always like having the offending behavior highlighted. If it's something I'm about to say, it may not have completely left my mouth before I get that familiar tap on the spiritual shoulder.

I am most grateful when an offending behavior is brought to my attention while still in the thinking stage. I'm grateful because it keeps me from doing it and I'm frustrated because it keeps me from doing it! My flesh is screaming to behave a certain way, make a pointed comment and ...wham....here comes the holy reminder that says I shouldn't.

I say a daily prayer asking God to guide and direct me as I step out in writing as a profession. I ask God to never let me forget that all accomplishments are His. I am humbled by and thankful for the holy tap on the shoulder this morning. Thanks, God, for never giving up on me. Thank You for the real wake-up call this morning.

No comments: