Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Breakfast in the Treetops

This morning I dined on the front deck. I love it out there early in the mornings; coffee cup in hand. The breeze was delightful; the birds in full motion and a rabbit joined me for breakfast by munching on the Wandering Jew nestled between rocks in one of the few shady areas of our front yard. I didn’t realize rabbits had a fondness for the prolific purple plant. It was a very idyllic and picturesque moment in time. I was enjoying myself immensely; grateful for my ringside perch.

Life in the treetops is full of avian escapades. I was pondering the excessive Mockingbird activity; wondering why they all seemed so agitated and combative this pleasant morning. As I continued to observe their antics, I realized they were not being particularly feisty, they were engaging in the flight of romance. The aerial dancing and accompanying arias were a part of the elaborate ritual of Mockingbird love! The rabbit was not phased but I was enthralled.

I wish I had more knowledge of the variety of birds in our area, able to identify by song alone; we tend to hear more than we actually see. I’d like to have that knowledge but it seems I’m not very vested in seeking said knowledge. However, once back at the computer, thinking it was late in the spring for the mating ritual; I did some research on Mockingbirds. I didn’t know how much I didn’t know. I was incorrect in my assumption, as happens frequently when we assume. As nature would have it, May is the beginning of Mockingbird mating season and so the dance continues…….much to my delight.

No comments: