Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Magic Mirror

I think the large mirror in our master bath is a magic mirror. A magic mirror that has a cracked sense of humor, that is! You see, when I have finished my daily grooming, the reflection in the mirror looks decent enough. Bad hair days notwithstanding, I can clean up and be presentable. A least that is what the magic mirror would lead me to believe!

However, once out in the world when it is far too late to do anything about it, I often catch my reflection in a store front glass and am appalled by what I see. What made me think I looked decent enough to go out in public? Same with pictures! I have gone to events that I wanted to make a concerted effort NOT to embarrass a loved one by my appearance. In fact, I admit, I have had the rare occasion when I actually thought I looked pretty stinking good, felt good about the whole appearance thing.

Let’s take the baby shower for my Daughter-in-Love as an example. That was a day I felt I would do my son proud by looking, if not the unattainable chic, at least like someone he wouldn’t run in the opposite direction not to be seen beside! THEN, I saw the pictures! Oh my!! My daughter even prefaced the pictures with the warning that none of us in our family looked good. That was not exactly true…kind, but not true. Daughter and both Daughter-in-Loves looked lovely! Then there was the blob that was me! EKK!!

My hair that looked so good in the misleading mirror had lost all resemblance to the coiffure I thought I was sporting as I left home. Stinking mirror got me again! What happened? How can there be such a vast difference between what the mirror shows me and what others actually see, as evidenced by the pictures? I’ve pondered this at length. I’ve considered that, perhaps, my self-esteem is soooooo good that I see the image of me that once walked the earth; a much younger, slimmer, more trendy me. I’ve also come to terms with the concept of self-delusion. Maybe I just think I look okay, ignoring the facts and reality. Maybe the dim lights (a result of unscrewing most the bulbs) create an atmosphere where lying to oneself is possible. Maybe it actually is a magical mirror! I don’t know if it is a mean magic mirror that laughs at me behind my back or if it is incredibly kind, only allowing a reflection I can live with at the time.

Regardless, I think it is time to remove the mirror. It covers most of the room. Who needs that? I’m thinking a small square mirror. A round one would only make my round face look even more round. Square it is! Small, for sure, about 8 inches by 8 inches. That will eliminate having to focus on my curves in places there really shouldn’t be curves. Yes, a small square mirror will be just the thing!

Maybe that will end that leering, maniacal laugh that echoes off the walls……

No comments: