Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, April 9, 2012

Modern Day Psalms


My Friends, if you do not fill your life with Christian music, you are missing out! I cannot tell you how often the words of a song have touched my heart when I needed it. God can minister to us in many ways and the beauty of Christian music is that is literally taken from scripture. In my area, the main source is found on the radio at KLOVE, 91.3. KLOVE can be found almost everywhere and you can even listen online.

This past week I journeyed back to see relatives. I’ve had a lot of change in my life over the last year or so, and going ‘home’ to see family can serve to bring back a sense of ‘grounding’ when life seems so uncertain. This trip, however, was to share time with my last four relatives of my parent’s generation. It can be emotional comfort food. I was aware of that and wanted to make sure I wasn’t swayed in my life decisions based on feasting on that emotional comfort food. I prayed before I hit the road that God help me see clearly in the midst of all that was familiar and/or tugged on heart strings of my childhood.

On the long drive back, I couldn’t wait for the place on the road where I knew KLOVE would tune back in. I needed it, I wanted it and I waited for it with anticipation. I was feeling alone and disconnected. The trip back made it clear I no longer belong there. All the sentimental, nostalgic emotions toying with me could not cover up the reality that I did not belong in the home of my past. Nor did it clear up anything about my future; that is still shrouded in the fog of God’s timing. I felt like I didn’t fit in or belong anywhere. Then God spoke to me through a song by Sanctus Real:

I’m Forgiven.  

Well the past is playing with my head
And failure knocks me down again
I'm reminded of the wrong
That I have said and done
And that devil just won't let me forget

In this life
I know what I've been
But here in your arms
I know what I am

I'm forgiven
I'm forgiven
And I don't have to carry
The weight of who I've been
Cause I'm forgiven

My mistakes are running through my mind
And I'll relive my days, in
the middle of the night
When I struggle with my pain,
wrestle with my pride
Sometimes I feel alone, and I cry

When I don't fit in and I don't

feel like I belong anywhere
When I don't measure up to much in this life
Oh, I'm a treasure in the
arms of Christ ‘cause

I'm forgiven

I'm forgiven

No comments: