Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Shepherd's Voice


This morning found me sleeping in till almost seven! For me that is very late. The pups were still snuggled under the covers and didn’t wiggle until I started to get up. We were all lazy sleepy bums this morning. I changed bedrooms yesterday, moving from one end of the house to another and the first night in a different room found me waking several times; new room, new noises. My ‘momma ears’ heard many. Then, of course, the weather changed; wind blowing in from the south made quite an impression in the middle of the night here on top of Hacienda Hill.

Yet for all the newness, some things remained the norm, the constant little things I love and appreciate. The pups snuggling for one, the comfort of my bed, the whirl of the fan providing the white noise that is supposed to help me not notice every little bump in the night and the peace of knowing my Lord Jesus is watching over me and in charge of my life. I may wake during the first noise of a storm but I am able to rest in the back of the boat with Jesus regardless.

As I started me reading and study time this morning, both pups wanted up in my lap. I gave the command, “Momma’s working” and they know that means they can’t get up with me and sat down. Nikos lay down under my chair and Pan sat as close has he could, glancing up once in a while at me. It fills me with warm fuzzies all over to see their faithfulness and love. I reached down to scratch their heads and told them I recognized their faithfulness and loved them all the more for it. Then it hit me, does the Lord get all warm and fuzzy when He sees His people faithfully waiting at His feet? Can you imagine the magnitude of love outpouring from Him to know His faithful are just waiting for His touch, His voice and His commands for their lives? It blew me away!

The Bible uses sheep as an example for people in many parables. Jesus is the Good Shepherd and we are His sheep. David risked his life to care for his sheep. Mat 18:12  How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray?

In our culture and day it is neither necessary nor feasible for each family to raise sheep for their food and income source. The actual sheep are not the issue either. It is the care, nurturing and mutual love and faithfulness to which I speak. John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: About the time you think you are all powerful and influential…try ordering someone else’s dog around. You will quickly be reminded that they know their master’s voice and follow him/her. You can go stick your head in the sand for all they care.

I’ve said all that to say this…Who is your master? At whose feet are you waiting? To whom do you depend for your provisions? Are you waiting at the feet of your employer, your significant other or your children for that pat on the head and unconditional love and appreciation? You can be waiting a long time if that be the case. Employers come and go, as do our children. People, in general, come and go through the different stages of life. And, yes, my pups will only be with me for a season. The only lasting relationship is the one we have with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

My babies are grown and raising babies of their own; my shepherding days are over for them. I want to be the best shepherd I can to my little pups and I will guard and protect them. My life is blessed by them and theirs by me; mutual love and faithfulness. It is my Shepherd, Jesus, whose voice I listen for and whose feet to which I sit as close as I can. He is the example to which I aspire. No other voice can move me; I know my Shepherd’s voice.

No comments: