Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Comfort in the Word


How do you deal with or handle pain? I, for one, like to be left alone when I hurt – be it physical, emotional or spiritual pain. If you want to help me and I am unable to care for myself, just make sure I have food and your number but I prefer to handle it without an audience. I also tend to get very quiet…maybe that’s why I want to be alone, so I don’t have to communicate.

I have known people that want someone to be right beside them, as support, and find comfort in the company. I know others that get impatient and rather mean when coping with pain. Some get weepy. Some tend to strike out verbally toward anyone around. There are as many different coping skill sets as there are people. Life is not pain free! As Christians, we are blessed to have the word of God in our time of pain.  

Whether it is physical pain or emotional pain, the word of God is a comfort for those that truly seek wisdom. Are you experiencing some type of pain in your life today? I encourage you to read through these Bible verses after praying and asking God to use them to give you peace.

Comfort in the Lord
Psalm 18:2 The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
Psalm 34:18 The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.
Jesus Felt Pain
Hebrews 2:18 For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.

Pain Leads to Repentance
2 Corinthians 7:9-10 As it is, I rejoice, not because you were grieved, but because you were grieved into repenting. For you felt a godly grief, so that you suffered no loss through us. For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death.

Hope in the Future
Revelation 22:4-5 They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. And night will be no more. They will need no light of lampor sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign forever and ever.
Romans 8:18  For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.

Biblical Example of Pain in Job
Job 1:21 And he said, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.”
Job 6:10 This would be my comfort; I would even exult in pain unsparing, for I have not denied the words of the Holy One.

Strength Comes from God to Overcome Pain
1 Corinthians 10:13   No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.
1 Peter 5:9-10   Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.

No comments: