Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Internal Interference


Psalm 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God.

Have you ever experienced a time when you were reading something only to realize you had no idea what you just read? Gosh, that’s disturbing! This morning I was doing my reading and it seemed as if half of my brain was trying to focus on the words on the page and the other half was having a totally different conversation with myself about what I might have done to make my back sore. Two separate lines of thinking going on at the same time, it was frustrating. I knew I wasn’t catching the meaning of what I just read so I read it again, same outcome. The noise in my head was making me nuts! “Just stop!” I didn’t realize I said it aloud but the pup’s reaction leads me to believe I must have.

I have often joked about having a split personality and all three of us, Me, Myself and I, talk among ourselves. This morning, it felt like all three were talking at the same time! I am joking about having a split personality but the noise in my head was no joke at all. Then it hit me, I’ve been reading the word of God for an hour and a half and the enemy didn’t care for it at all, thus the attempts to sidetrack my mind and focus. Pastor and Christian Counselor, Neil Anderson, calls this ‘internal interference.’

Some people experience internal interference when demonic powers are confronted by the truth. The answer to this mental chaos? Prayer, acknowledging God's presence, claiming His authority, and binding the enemy to silence. If we have a thought that is contrary to the Word, we need to address it then and there. Some thoughts can be very hostile or threatening. Others will be very deceptive. (Have you ever called yourself stupid or worthless or a loser?) Some seem innocent enough but the distraction has worked. The power of satan is in his lie. The moment we bring the contrary thought to light, the power of it is broken. The power for the Christian is in the truth. That is why it is truth that sets us free.

 Sarah Young, in her book Jesus Calling, said, “Stillness of soul is increasingly rare in this world addicted to speed and noise.” How true is that?!

My Friend, awareness and ownership of our thoughts is vital. Scripture says we will be held accountable for them; makes knowing not only what they are but where they originate rather vital, eh? Stop the noise in your head, examine them, discern the truth from the lies, take authority over them and commit them to God.  

No comments: