Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Living to Honor God


"I expect and hope...to show the greatness of Christ in my life here on earth, whether I live or die." Philippians 1:20

Paul was speaking to the citizens in Philppi when he uttered these powerful words. They served to be not only to be an eye opening and inspiring message to them, but also a serious reminder to himself about his real purpose in life. Have we given much thought to our own purpose in life as a Christian?

Granted, most of us are not as focused and driven as Paul was for the cause of Christ. However, this verse does serve as a very meaningful reminder of how we ought to live as followers of Christ. Essentially, Paul was willing to give his life for the cause of Christianity. He ultimately did at the hands of Roman soldiers.

We don't have to be beheaded like Paul to prove we're good Christians, but we can certainly behave in a way that says to others we have the qualities it takes to be known as one. I am reminded of the way a Christian drive-in restaurant chain owner stated: "I never told anyone I'm a Christian; I just expect the way I live my life to show it." Chick-Fil-A owner, S. Truett Cathy
states as the final step in his Five–Step recipe for Business Success "I was not so committed to financial success that I was willing to abandon my principles and priorities. One of the most visible examples of this is our decision to close on Sunday. Our decision to close on Sunday was our way of honoring God and of directing our attention to things that mattered more than our business." That definitely walks the talk.

I’m old enough to remember when all grocery stores and businesses were closed on Sunday, it wasn’t such a bad way to live. Now they are considering lifting the laws that ban hard liquor sales on Sundays for revenue purposes. Guess they don’t share the values Mr. Cathy holds so dear.

That's the kind of stuff Paul was talking about in this verse. So what about you and me? What would people say about our lives? Does it make them sit up, take notice, and see something different? Many years ago, oh say, thirty-two years or so, I was working for a large commercial construction company out of Houston. My immediate supervisor, whose name I cannot remember tho the picture of her face still lives in my mind, sat at her desk every morning before work reading the Bible. One day I asked her why. She told me that by giving God her first time in the morning He made her day better. I was very impressed by that. She also read the Bible at her desk during lunch and breaks. Her obvious calm in the secular world was impressive. The fact that I remember her and her faith walk thirty-two years later says much about the way her dedication set her apart!

One definition of Christian is "set apart.” Do our lives look like we are 'set apart' from the rest of the world? My challenge for us today is to take a serious look at ourselves and carefully answer that question.
"I expect and hope...to show the greatness of Christ in my life here on earth, whether I live or die." Philippians 1:20

No comments: