Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Healthy Slice of Humble Pie


Psalm 138:8 The LORD will vindicate me; your love, LORD, endures forever— do not abandon the works of your hands.

I don’t know about you but I learn a lot more about myself in times of trial and struggle than I do the easier, carefree moments. When I first read the Bible verse above this morning, I chuckled to myself. In the last few days I’ve sent up many prayers asking the Lord to help me resolve the issues with my computer so I could get back to ‘the work of my hands’. It might seem odd to ask God to fix my computer but I believe God can ‘fix’ anything and did not doubt His ability to correct the problems.

I wish this verse had come to me during all that asking and I had remembered He doesn’t abandon the work of His hands, me. I could have rested in peace about getting back to the work of my hands rather than wallowing in frustration and, yes, fear over something like this. As usual, I wanted it done in my timing, my convenience and my way. I allowed myself to get frustrated by my own lack of knowledge of all things techie regarding the computer. I allowed worldly concern about the possibility of having to come up with the money to have the computer ‘doctor’ fix it. I felt out of control over the situation and that didn’t settle well. Bottom-line is that I KNOW better but still looked to my own pitiful abilities rather than resting in Him. It was not the computer that caused all my stress…it was me!

I didn’t stomp around throwing a fit or get ugly or throw my visiting cousin, Beverly, off the front deck or anything else outrageous yet I voluntarily gave up my peace. I can’t blame anything or anyone else. I did it all by myself. It was a humbling moment when I snapped out of my computer-less funk and realized, other than asking God to ‘fix it’, I had left Him out of the equation in my thinking.

So, yes, this verse this morning made me chuckle because my merciful God placed just what I needed to hear right in front of my face. He faithfully does that time and time again. I had to ask for forgiveness for leaning on myself instead His provision. The Instruction Manual for my computer issue is called the Bible. It’s the same Instruction Manual for all issues dealing with human life on earth. It’s the only Instruction Manual we really need. If another is required as a helper, He’ll direct us to it…if we’re listening for His answer and not stewing in our own juices.
 
Thank you, Lord, for putting up with my flawed, childish ways. Your love truly endures forever and You do not abandon the work of your hands! Thank you for fixing me and my computer so I can get back to the work of my hands You gave me to do. Help me to grow in spiritual maturity and decrease in my self-reliance. More of You, Lord, and less of me. Amen

No comments: