Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Cry of Desperation

My heart is heavy this morning. My good friend, Patricia, shot herself yesterday evening. I have not heard anything since 11 last night when her sister sent me a message saying she was not expected to make it.

I got to know her when I started a ladies Bible study in our village shortly after we moved here and she called saying she wanted to join up. I know she struggled and often felt the weight of life's problems overbearing. Sadly. like too many, Patricia pulled away from God rather than turning to Him when she struggled.

Desperate people do desperate things. Hurting people hurt other people. It's a sad condition of the human world. The saddest part of it all is that it doesn't have to be that way. There is no pit of desperation so deep God cannot lift us out. There is no looming situation so dire He cannot step over to reach us. I don't know the thoughts and feeling my friend had in those moments before picking up a gun but I know He was there watching for her uplifted hand or cry for Him. He never left her.

My prayer is that we use whatever time we have left this side of heaven to be sensitive to the Spirit and minister to those hurting and desperate people around us. They are everywhere, we don't have to go far before tripping over many of them. You may not know their desperation is hidden behind a hearty laugh, stoic facade or busy schedule but God does and that's exactly why we need the Holy Spirit to reveal those in need of a hug, a tender word, a prayer of encouragement or even a firm word of wake up. We are His hands and feet. I've said for years I do not know how those without the knowledge and arms of God make it. Truth is many do not.

No comments: