Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Growing with Freedom


Growing - mentally, emotionally, spiritually and intellectually advancing from one stage of development, understanding and maturity to another.

No, that’s not our dear friend, Webster, that’s my definition of growing when it comes to people. Growing is important to me; it keeps my mind from drowning in a quagmire of worn out opinions and stagnated mentalities. Just as a shark must keep moving forward to live, I must continue to learn. I need it like I need oxygen.

Growing old, however, is certainly not for the faint of heart. It takes courage to get up every day when you know your body may not comply with simple requests and groans with new aches and pains you didn’t have the day before. Yes, indeed, courage is required!

One of the perks from growing older I’ve discovered is the freedom it brings. That may sound contradictory when you’re limited in various ways but it does bring freedom. You become free of concern for other people’s opinions. Who cares if they do not like your choice of dress or lifestyle? Pfsst! You want to take a nap at 8am, go for it! People will just chalk it up to you being old anyway. I never was one that got into ‘shoes’ like a lot of people do but years ago I decided comfort over fashion was the way to go! This was not appreciated before by my husband who was one of those ‘shoe’ people, but he either gave up on me or has gotten old enough now to see the wisdom in my ways. If comfy shoes only come in ‘ugly’, then ugly it is! The fashion police do not concern me now that I’ve grown older.

Another freedom I enjoy from this stage in life is having learned enough to know I cannot change other people no matter how stupid their position and/or stand OR how much I want to. I’ve learned to allow others to wallow in their own mess. I didn’t get this old by being stupid, even if some of my choices over the years were stupid. If no one wants to benefit from the hard earned wisdom I’ve scraped together from the fallout from multitude mistakes I’ve made…okay. They can scrape together their own wisdom from their mistakes. I get it now. It’s not that I don’t care, or want to help or have opinions, I’ve got plenty to spare, but people do not usually listen with appreciation when they are shared. I WILL share, but I do not lose sleep over their not taking my advice. My heart will ache with them in their time of inevitable pain and regret, I will cry with and for them, but I am free from feeling responsible for other people and the choices they make. That’s a biggie! I will help where and when I can, I will pray for them always but they alone are responsible for their choices and actions.

Though I have acquired much appreciated freedom in growing older, it is not age or wisdom that gave me the ultimate freedom. That came from my Savior. I am free from sin, death, and condemnation only because of the freedom He gave me through His sacrifice. Now THAT’S freedom!

John 8:36  So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

No comments: