Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Believers of Action


Matthew 28:19-20 Go ye therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit: teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.

If you know me at all, you are not surprised to hear that is one of my favorite scriptures. It resonates deep within my spirit and my heart feels full whenever I read or hear it. There are so many scriptures that move and stir me to my core; this is one.

Jesus said those words in the scripture above. That should be enough for any Believer yet I hear all kinds of reasons and rationalizations from those choosing not to follow His instructions. “It’s not my calling.” “I don’t know enough.” “I don’t have the time or money to go do these things.” “I have young children.” “My faith is a private matter between me & God.” (I actually used to use that one.) “I’m not comfortable talking to people.” These are but a few reasons (excuses?) I personally have heard over and over again.

Notice…Jesus was a man of action verbs!  Go ye…YOU go. He didn’t say only a select few short red-headed women should go, He said “You Go…” Doesn’t sound much like a suggestion or potential option, does it? make disciples…disciples (students), to disciple is to train, teach, instruct.  baptizing them…if we were left to our own devises and strengths, this might seem a scary proposition but we are not; the rest of the sentence tells us we are to baptize them in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. We are given authority by Jesus…let the fullness of that sink into your mind, heart and spirit…Jesus is not only telling us to go do this thing but empowering us with the authority, His authority, to do so! We can, in boldness and power, serve in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.  teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you…’teaching’ used in this particular scripture is defined in my Hebrew-Greek Study Bible as to disciple, teach with expectation of one’s learning and appropriating. This segment of scripture alone says we are to teach others all Jesus has commanded/taught us with the expectation they will learn and take possession of for their own lives. Do you see where the ‘circle of life eternal’ comes into play here? Once they take possession of this knowledge and understanding, they in turn are required to ‘Go, Make disciples, Baptize, Teach…’  

I can’t say this enough, none of the action verbs in this scripture depend on you and your abilities to teach or communicate. When we feel fearful in the flesh, we need to take comfort in the rest of the story… I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. When I read these words I see with my spiritual eyes a picture of Jesus sitting on a rock, talking to the circle of disciples. They have just returned from going out two by two as instructed. Perhaps they are feeling unqualified and inadequate to successfully reach and teach people of their Lord. Jesus gives them marching orders to go out and make disciples of all nations…how their hearts must have beat harder at the weight of that task! He looks around at his friends and students, knowing their fears and anxieties and His heart is moved with compassion. He does what any good parent or mentor would do. He reassures them with powerful and loving words. He says, “I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.”

Jesus commands us with action verbs to step outside of ourselves and comfort zones to reach people of all nationalities, colors, races, and faiths. Our pitiful little talents and skills are not the issue. When we walk out into the world – Go, Make, Baptize, Teach – we walk in His authority and His power for His people. Between the three of us – me, myself & I – there is not much to offer but when walking with the authority of Jesus, knowing He is with me always…nothing can stop me. His marching orders are for all Believers, we all have the same authority in His name. Kinda makes all those ‘reasons and rationales’ listed above look rather puny, huh?   

No comments: