Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

What a Life!

It’s a chilly morning and still dark outside. I’m still sitting at the computer having spent time reading the Bible, looking up scripture and specific prayers concerning the needs of people I love that are going through a difficult time and struggle. I want to make sure I cover their specific needs in prayer.

When someone you love hurts and their life is out of whack you share their pain. Words never seem enough to calm a frantic or saddened heart. Loss comes in all shapes and sizes and is an equal opportunity heartache looking for a place to happen. Needs looms large in every life from time to time.

Then our little puppy, Pan Dulce, wakes and wants attention. First he runs around as fast as his little legs will let him, and then he comes to me hopping on his back legs, wanting my attention and in my lap. He is a long-haired Chihuahua though he still has puppy hair and is cold, shivering. I put on my robe, tying the belt tightly around me and slip that shaky little mass of energy between me and the robe. He snuggles in next to my chest like a baby kangaroo in his mother’s pouch. Soon the warmth of our bodies calms the shivering and he relaxes even more. His immediate needs are met. All is right in his world and he feels loved, comforted, and taken care of.

From time to time Pan Dulce will poke his head out of the top of the robe to see what is going on. Then, reassured, he snuggles back in. I can almost hear my husband saying, “¡Qué vida” which is Spanish for “What a life!”.

When we made the decision to bring Pan Dulce into our family, we knew we were taking on responsibility for his life and he would be dependent on us to meet his needs. Sometimes that means cleaning up his messes. We made the choice to love and protect him, regardless of circumstance, regardless of whether or not it was convenient. In return we receive his total unconditional love. He brings us joy on a daily basis.

God made that same decision about each of us. He made the choice to love and protect us. Just as Pan Dulce depends on us, we are completely dependent on God….whether we know it or not! When we realize that we can not make it on our on and allow God to be in control, it is HIS unconditional love that provides for our needs, cleans up our messes regardless of circumstance. We can climb up in the lap of the Lord and He will wrap is loving arms around us; warming us when we are cold, feeding us when we are hungry, comforting us when we feel the pain of loss.

Pan Dulce made his need for me obvious with his hopping up and down to get my attention. He wanted me, needed me and knew he could come to me. What message are you sending God today? Is it just as obvious that you want Him, need Him and know you can go to Him?

Could someone look at your life in the Lord and say, “¡Qué vida”?

No comments: