Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, October 26, 2009

Lesson for Today

There is no wisdom in jumping ahead of God. His plan for us is far greater than anything we can come up with ourselves. Yet, when we function from a fleshly perspective rather than waiting on Him, we race ahead thinking we are really doing something. We could not be more wrong.

I dedicated the writing I do for this blog to the Lord. He gave me the ability to write, without that I could do nothing. I want to use the life lessons God teaches me to reach others. I’m confident that there are others out there that need to learn what ever lesson God shows me in my own life. So, I have determined to use this platform for His purposes.

Every writer wants people to read the words they labored to set in order. That is in part, why we write in the first place. I know I might be able to increase my readership if I wrote a secular blog. Sadly, there are far too many people out there that would not ever consider reading a blog labeled Christian, Devotional, or Faith. I currently have two blogs, I could make one secular and leave the other Christian based. I COULD, yes, but I won’t. I DID dedicate my efforts to the Lord and it would be total foolishness to go back on that. I believe the Lord will bring those He wants to my site and if only one person is touched and benefits from anything I write, then I will consider my efforts successful.

I try to wait on the Lord daily for what He would have me write. I rush to my computer early every morning, even while the coffee makes, in order to have His business be the first thing in my day. I read from the Bible to have His word be fresh in my mind. This morning while reading in Proverbs, I read a scripture I thought would be good for today’s writing. So I set about putting it together. I wrote a complete piece. I thought it was pretty good.

Here’s the thing, I came up with the idea; it was not the gentle nudge from the Lord I seek every morning. I knew this as I wrote it and I kept going regardless. As I finished the piece and moved into edit mode, I felt that familiar holy hand on my shoulder and the quiet voice in my spirit asking if I was ready to wait on Him now. I closed the piece and saved it in my Writing Projects folder in My Documents.

I still think it’s a good piece and one day the Lord may release me to use it. Till then, it will sit in that folder. I wish I could say that was an isolated incident and I’ve not done that before, but I can’t. More than once, I have written something the Lord has not released me to use and I’ve had to file it away. What you give to the Lord it is His; no longer yours to do with as you please. Yes, I could have mechanically moved it to my blog site anyway, there is that whole free will thing……but when you dedicate something to the Lord, there is no wisdom in taking it back when being faithful to your word is inconvenient. It was His all along anyway.

That, my Friends, is the lesson for today.

No comments: