Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Fall in Love with Autumn

Fall or autumn, call it what you like, is my favorite time of year. I guess I should qualify that; LATE Fall is more accurate. In most of Texas, we rarely get to see seasonal changes that a lot of the country takes for granted. I have a mental seasonal change in autumn.

Fall brings a barrage of scents, colors and textures that stir emotions deep inside me. I have not found the key to why that happens but I don’t care. I just love that it happens. I love that I can actually spend time outdoors for more than a few minutes at a time. The sun is not my best friend but autumn allows me more freedom and time to soak up nature. Nothing is more comforting and basic to me than walking in the woods this time of year. Even later when all the leaves that have fallen are crunchy underfoot, these walks renew and invigorate me.

Chilly air brings out my inner child. The girl that ran and played peeks outside my grandmotherly face and tugs at memories long tucked away. Memories such as walking along side my grandfather; he made up songs about anything he saw to make me laugh. They never made much sense but we enjoyed them.

The smell of chicken and dumplings simmering on the stove can warm you to your toes though the wind howls and swirls beyond the steamy windows. A mug of apple cider with a cinnamon stick can not be resisted. A favorite fuzzy robe makes snuggling on the couch more relaxing. Pumpkin pie scented candles warm a room with just their tiny flame.

Autumn also brings my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving. I’ve written before about Friday being my dedicated day to look back at all the Lord has done in my life that week and give thanks for each thing. Daily prayers should begin with words of thanksgiving. So, for me, Thanksgiving Day is the ultimate holiday because people all over are giving thanks and I see in my spirit’s eye a tender vision of how the Lord might look hearing prayers of thanks from people He might not hear from on a regular basis. A harvest of souls praying for the harvests in their lives! A spontaneous chorus of thanks ringing out when families gather and bow heads together! Oh, my! Gives me goose bumps!! Yes, Thanksgiving is most certainly my favorite holiday and it comes in my favorite time of year.

What’s not to love and be thankful for about this special time of year?

No comments: