Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A Little Peek

The following is just some random thoughts and beliefs; a little peek into me.

I like the person I am becoming. I was not always happy with the ME that be but I do like the person in to which I see me growing. I’m not saying that I think too highly of myself, just that I can see and appreciate the changes the Lord has made in me over the years. Like most of us, I am painfully aware of my own ‘warts’ and I am in no way a finished product. I could make a list the things I would like to change about myself but why keep a critical eye focused and waste precious time the Lord has given me. If He can look at me and see the good He knows will one day be, then I choose to as well. I won’t stop striving to be more Christ-like, that is my goal as a Christian but I will be kinder to myself than in times past. The Golden Rule says to treat others the way you would want to be treated. You have to start somewhere and how can you be kind to others if you can’t even be kind to yourself?

I enjoy thinking about making things beautiful, not in the eyes of those that think they can tell us what is beautiful and what is not; but beautiful in and of itself, in simplicity. I need an outlet for artistic and creative flows without the pressure of performance. Art from within is a gift from God. Should it be thwarted by the human perspective of someone you do not even know telling you what is or isn’t beautiful? Who came up with the concept of Art Critics and why? I think our soul reaches out to those things that bring a sense of peace to it; it is there in that peace we find beauty.

I believe joy can be found in the most mundane if you are open to it. I’m not referring to the spiritual kind of joy in the Lord; though I do cherish that joy. I’m talking about being open to the joy simple day-to-day life can bring. For instance, the feel and weight of my mixing bowl makes me feel good. I have allowed myself to get glass mixing bowls now that the children are gone, I can’t stand plastic bowls. I love the way a bamboo cooking utensil feels to my hand so the simple act of stirring while cooking is a pleasant experience for me. The smell of coffee brewing, bacon cooking and chocolate anything…all makes my heart happy. Watching the puppy run across the room is another simple joy. I neither need nor want electronic gadgets and/or expensive clothes in hopes of feeling good and joyful in my life. I believe joy is all around us and it’s about being open to finding your joy right in front of you.

The ability to experience kindness, beauty and joy come from within us; it’s an attitude and mindset. In a world full of turmoil and uncertainty we need all the kindness, beauty and joy we can get. It’s there for the taking and enjoying and enriching of our lives. The size of your house doesn’t matter; your happiness is not proportionate to your square footage. Happiness is about how you live, not where you live. Kindness, Beauty and Joy are enhanced by thankful hearts and giving spirits; pretty good way to live if you ask me.

No comments: