Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

It's Not What You Say

I’ve heard it said, “I’d rather see a sermon than hear one.” This, Friends, holds true in every area of our lives. It is easy to faithfully sit on your favorite pew in church on Sunday and smile at people as they go by. It is not usually a stretch to take a casserole to a pot luck dinner either. The real effort in our Christian walk comes in our daily unspoken communication.

With every action we take, every word we express, we are sending out a loud message to those around us. Do our actions and our words line up or contradict one another? You can carry your Bible in your arms for all to see but how are you talking to your kids at home while getting ready or as you’re pulling in the church parking lot? They will remember that more than the image of you with your Bible.

You can wear that new Christian T-shirt but if you’re cutting people off to get in line at the grocery store in front of them, they see the attitude you think you’ve nicely covered up with the T-shirt. Nary may a word be said but……unspoken communication.

I once knew a woman with a beautifully decorated home. Sadly, all the time and money spent on her home could not make it a warm, inviting place. People felt tolerated instead of welcomed in her home. On my last visit there, her indifference to those gathered for a holiday get together was screaming loud and clear. Her hollow laugh and tense tone far more reflective of her true feelings than the brightly colored Christian sweatshirt she wore. She was active in her church but bitterness encompassed her. Anger her constant companion. She no longer goes to church or even tries to put up a Christian front which, sadly, is more honest than she ever was all those years she played a part without really having Jesus in her heart. Unspoken communication speaks loudly.

My little grandmother sat in her favorite chair every evening reading the Bible before bed. As I recall, she read two chapters every night. She never preached to me about it but the picture lives on in my treasure trove of special memories. She taught me faithfulness in reading scripture without saying a word. Unspoken communications teach powerful lessons.

I can look back in my life at times I know I missed the mark. I feel regret and a touch of sadness for all those times I showed myself revealing an attitude or action that was not Christ-like. I don’t beat myself up over them any more. I’ve learned that condemnation is not the same thing as conviction. Conviction is from the Holy Spirit, condemnation….well, it’s ugly and you know where ugliness comes from. I’ve also learned to trust the arms that open wide to receive me when I’m hurt or scared. I know the joy and comfort of climbing up in the lap of the Lord. Unspoken communications show love and acceptance.


I, too, would rather see a sermon than hear one.

No comments: