Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Direct Line

What a privilege we have of talking directly to God through our relationship with Jesus. Once upon a time, I thought my pitiful little stuff wasn't important enough to bother God. I would speak in prayer of the really serious issues but didn't know I could take it all to Him. Looking back, I can see where so much of my life was a wasteland of unuttered prayers and, consequently, unanswered needs.

I am so thankful that the Holy Spirit breathed new hunger in me for Him and His Word; revealing to me that which He would have me know. The more I understand about prayer and petition, the more I know there is to learn!

I didn't understand this truth in time to teach it to my children in their youth; though I try to lead by example now. However, I am doing everything I can to share this with our grandchildren.

For a season we had grandchildren living with us. Every morning before school we prayed. They took turns saying the prayer and my heart was touched by their honesty. One morning, Hannah was in the midst of the usual words of thanks for safety and health, when she thanked God for the fact she was getting to participate in a walking tour her class was taking that day. She had been in trouble in school and missed out on some fun activities; so this tour was a big deal to her. I was thankful she knew enough to thank Him! I didn't at that age or even much older.

Jesus paved the way for us to speak directly to God in giving thanks and petition. Jesus, Himself, petitions on our behalf! WOW! Come before Him as the little child speaking from your heart. Do not be concerned about eloquence or verbiage; thank Him for every little thing. Lay before Him your needs no matter how insignificant you may think they are. He knows them anyway; might as well.

My prayer for us today is that we humble ourselves as Hannah did that morning, thankful in the knowledge of the awesome privilege of the direct line of communication.

No comments: