Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's Off to Work We Go

It may also be said that rational, industrious, useful human beings are divided into two classes: first, those whose work is work and whose pleasure is pleasure; and secondly, those whose work and pleasure are one...Fortune's favored children belong to the second class. Their life is a natural harmony. For them the working hours are never long enough. Each day is a holiday... ~ Winston Churchill

I like this quote. What a blessing it would be to have your vocation be something that you find a labor of love rather than ‘the daily grind.’ Imagine how it would make this old world a better place if everyone loved their job.

Sales people might really care about helping you. Cashiers might focus on serving you efficiently and with a smile rather than complaining about their schedule to one another as if you were not even there. The mechanic might act thankful for your business instead of as if he were doing you a favor by allowing you to drive into his garage. Doctors might actually look you in the eye instead of listening for what can only be assumed is the buzzer in his head that goes off after he has spent a whopping 3 ½ minutes with you.

Treating people with respect is growing rarer by the year. Regardless of what we do for a living, the Bible tells us we are to respect our employers and do everything we do as if unto the Lord. This includes our jobs, like them or not.

I’ve had a job I didn’t like; it’s difficult to get up every morning and drive to work when you dislike the job. Surrounded by hostile employees and far less than a Christian atmosphere, I was certain God could not want me to remain in that job. My daily prayer was to get me out of there. As it turned out, God used my presence as a Christian to reach others. Known as the ‘crazy Jesus lady’ and keeping my Bible prominently displayed on my desk over the years enabled fellow employees to come to my office and ask me to pray for their situation. Had I been unwilling to walk out my faith publicly in the workplace or conduct myself with Christian principles would that have occurred? Never.

I fell short of performing my job as if unto the Lord on a regular basis. I wish I could tell you I had an exemplary attitude every day. I did not. However, I did treat my boss with respect, loyalty and a Christian love. It has been many years since we worked together and we are still in contact and call one another friend. I believe God blessed me on that job because I was obedient in staying where He planted me and behaved myself, for the most part.

I had an old mentor that always said, “Inspect what you expect.” Perhaps we should all inspect our own behavior to see if it is what the Lord expects. By doing our own Performance Review we have the opportunity to adjust attitudes where needed.

We are not in a time or world environment where everyone can earn a living doing something they love. We are, however, most certainly in a time where treating one another with respect, common courtesy and Christ-like values is needed more than ever! Remember, it is scriptural for heaven's sake.

No comments: