Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Zoned for Impact

I had a 'light bulb' moment this morning, thought I'd share. We're a praying family, it is part of our daily life. But have you ever noticed that sometimes your prayers feel like you're repeating a broken record, feel a little dry and uninspired? Do you have a hard time staying focused on what you're even doing? My guess is that we've all experienced this, but I may be the only one and if so, then this is for me only.

This morning while out doing my coffee/garden review, I started my prayer time. I've felt like I've been in a prayer slump recently and really want to get out! Like all of you, my days are busy and I often feel like I'm rushing through the prayers to 'get them over with'. Father, forgive me!!


Remember, I'm walking the garden area, a time of peace and contemplation, so all the better to start prayer. The raised bed is really just one long box so the plantings are divided, zoned for organization. So as I meandered from one zone to another this morning the light bulb moment hit me! Why not zone my prayer time?

While that may sound a bit calculated and cold, it made sense to me. Rather than trying to run through a mental list of everything I want to pray for and hoping I get it all, why not break it up into smaller prayer zones. You know, one prayer zone could be when I pray for my family, another when I pray for our ministry, another when I pray for our government and leaders, etc. Nothing gets left out.

I could use my morning garden review for simply praising the Lord. Later, straightening the kitchen, I could pray for the family. While folding laundry, pray for our missionary friends. By breaking my prayers up by subject and time zones, I can focus on that particular prayer need. All of our days have some sort of routine and rhythm to them. Some days we have total chaos and nothing is normal but for the most part, there is structure of some sort. If I make my prayer zones fit my normal daily schedule the prayers would be fresher and focused.

I'm tired of praying dry desert prayers! My temperament isn't like that, my prayers shouldn't be either! I feel deeply, love deeply and I want my prayers to be prayers of substance, too! I'm not taking the reverence out of prayer time; there certainly is a time for hitting your knees in prayer. My zoned prayer theory is not to replace that, it is in addition to that. It is a continuous dialog of prayer throughout the day.

Anyway..that was my light bulb moment and I'm going to try it. It may not be for you; it may not even be for me but I'm going to give it a shot and see how it goes. If you decide to try it too, let me know if it works out for you.

No comments: