Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Truth and Consequences

I ask God to show me what He would have me write about. This morning I've spent a good deal of time sitting at the computer waiting for that divine inspiration. I fine tuned my 'hearer' so I would be sensitive to a whisper, if that was how the guidance came. Meanwhile, I read several of the previous posts, then looked through files of earlier pieces I've written in hopes that something would jump out at me as the inspired subject about which God wanted me to write. Nothing.......

I sat with fingers on the keyboard at the ready, though my head groggy, my body achy; I was physically lagging as a consequence of the trip we made this past weekend. My body struggles with issues and takes longer to recuperate than I would like. However, I know this is a consequence of a trip before I ever pack a bag and I go regardless. It's a choice I made knowing the consequences up front. As I am acknowledging said consequences, it was as if I heard an audible, "There you go!"
So, consequences it is today! Isn't it just like God to use the everyday issues of life to teach us a lesson if we are just willing to listen for and hear it?

My old friend Webster has this to say regarding the word consequence:
1: a conclusion derived through logic :
inference2: something produced by a cause or necessarily following from a set of conditions

I have learned and my children (and grandchildren) have been told, every choice or action has a consequence; sometimes they are good , sometimes they are not. My intent was that they pray, learn to use wisdom and thoughtful deliberation rather than emotion to make choices; learn to weigh out possible consequences of their choices before taking action. God wants the same from all of His children. Often, our choices are driven by our fleshly desires rather than compliance with God's word or any spiritual contemplation of cause and effect.

Isaiah 48:17 (NLT) This is what the Lord says-your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: "I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is good for you and leads you along the paths you should follow."


Just as my physical issues are a post-trip reality for me, our choices determine what we will deal with as a result. It would be easy for me to say I hurt because of (bla, bla, bla), making the physical issue the reason. However, the actual reason for the pain today is because I made the choice to go on the trip. The 'hurt' is the consequence of my choice made with thoughtful deliberation. The physical issue is part of my reality, but MY CHOICE to go on the trip is the reason I am hurting today. My choice, my consequence. (Are you still with me?) I 'own' the consequence......the reality of the physical issues is not responsible, that is simply a circumstance. I weighed my options with the knowledge of how my body would be affected and determined I was willing to pay the cost (the body pain) of going.



Continued...........


Friends, once I received divine inspiration and started writing, the Lord poured out many points that need to be addressed; far too many for one simple posting. I will continue sharing in the next post. I want to write what comes from God, not just my opinion, so I will write as long as He provides. My prayer is that He uses me to help teach and encourage others. My prayer is that I write only Truth every morning.


Lynn

No comments: