Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Resting? Really?

Did the title of today's writing catch your attention? Real resting isn't as simple as it sounds. Once, years ago, I had a doctor tell me that I didn't rest even when I rested. I had to ponder that for a while. In my pondering, I was exercising the very thing he was talking about. I may physically be sitting or lying down but my mind still whirled a hundred miles an hour. I tend to analyze things, everything. While this can and is beneficial in it's place, it also serves to make you weary when carried on all the time. Physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually weary.

I ran into an old friend once and the first thing out of her mouth was to ask me if I still analyzed things to death. Wow, that hit me like a ton of bricks! Rather re-enforced what the doctor told me. So, it’s safe to assume I know this struggle. As I’ve grown in the Lord and my spiritual walk, I’ve learned to give over that analyzing obsession to God and give things to Him. Not an easy task for a habitual thinker. I still analyze some things but it’s not like before. Then I did not lean on Him but on my own ability to reason. Then I believed in Him but did not walk in faith, trust Him to handle my weighty issues or leave anything to His timing, for that matter.

Webster defines ‘rest’ many ways. One that struck me (yes, I looked it up) was #4(a) relief from anything distressing, annoying, tiring, etc (b) peace of mind; mental and emotional calm; tranquility

Without giving God all of our trust and faith, we do not possess the aspects of ‘rest’ Webster was defining above. I’ve learned to wait & rest on the Lord as I’ve matured in my Christian walk. A rather obvious example is waiting for the complete healing of my body. I know my body is healed by the strips Jesus bore on His. I know I am healed. My body still has physical pain and limitation every day but the time will come when that is no longer a factor in my life. That ‘time’ will come on His timeline, not mine. The really cool thing is that I’m ok with that. I trust Him enough to know He will take care of His business in His perfect timing. I don’t even analyze this at all, I KNOW it as a truth in my life. I can rest in that knowledge.

Without putting yourself in a mental tizzy, take a look at how you rest. Make a point to 'purpose' your resting time so it can be recuperative to your mind and body; not just horizontal contemplation time. If you focus on listening to your breathing, your mind is happily busy but in a calming way rather than jumping from one thought to the next. It takes practice. Those pesky whirlwind thoughts will try to creep in. Tell them 'No!' and don't give them another thought. Listen to your breathing, let the relaxing rhythm melt the tension in your body and mind. It works.

The irony is that we have to actively work at resting.....now that's funny! Wishing you a restful day.......

No comments: